What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VNAV & 650XI

Bavafa

Well Known Member
I was wondering if the VNAV option on G3X touch also works with the 650XI?
Mine gets grayed out when I select the GTN 650XI as the source of GPS but it is available when changed the source of GPS to Internal. I am pretty sure this worked OK with the 650 in my last plane.

I was wondering if the VNAV option on G3X touch also works with the 650XI?
Mine gets grayed out when I select the GTN 650XI as the source of GPS but it is available when changed the source of GPS to Internal. I am pretty sure this worked OK with the 650 in my last plane.

As explained in the G3X Touch Pilot Guide, "The VNAV function may be inhibited when FPL Source is set to 'External' with some external navigators".

The G3X Touch internal VNAV function is disabled when you select an external navigator, like the GTN, which has built-in IFR VNAV capability. The older GTN software did not have this VNAV capability, which might explain why you recall it working differently at one time.

My aircraft has a GNX 375 IFR navigator, which doesn't have the same VNAV enroute/arrival VNAV capabilities as a GTN, so the G3X Touch internal VNAV is always available, even when using the external GNX 375 navigator.

Steve

As explained in the G3X Touch Pilot Guide, "The VNAV function may be inhibited when FPL Source is set to 'External' with some external navigators".

The G3X Touch internal VNAV function is disabled when you select an external navigator, like the GTN, which has built-in IFR VNAV capability. The older GTN software did not have this VNAV capability, which might explain why you recall it working differently at one time.

My aircraft has a GNX 375 IFR navigator, which doesn't have the same VNAV enroute/arrival VNAV capabilities as a GTN, so the G3X Touch internal VNAV is always available, even when using the external GNX 375 navigator.

Steve
Thank you Steve, this is great to know. I guess I need to learn more stuff with the 650XI

I have a G3X non-touch and a GTN650Xi. My VNAV works perfectly, and I program the altitudes on the GTN. I have the G3X set to external.

However, there was a bug in a software update that caused the VNAV to fault in that configuration. Mine are all up to date, and work fine. Make sure your software is updated.

$$

Last edited:
Back