What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wanted: New Front Seat Stick with Bend

zoehlman1988

I'm New Here
Looking to replace the original small stick in my RV-8 with a longer one that has a bend in it like the picture below. Need some help, as I am new to the community and hitting some obstacles trying to find a new stick.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 2.20.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 2.20.20 PM.png
    584.4 KB · Views: 286
Bent stick

Zeb,

I think Vince Frazier might be making these but they are for the Rockets. I e-mailed him about it and he wasn’t sure about it fitting an -8. Prob not too costly if you wanted to try one. Not sure about the bottom hole size and bushing. If someone knows the answer please chime in.

Vince: F1Aircraft.com

Consider using an RV14 stick - available from Vans and Tosten Manufacturing. I bought mine, undrilled, from Vans. The bent stick fits inside of the lower portion of your front RV8 stick that you cut off just above the pivot tube. I did this on my RV4, which has the same front stick as the RV8. My friend turned down a piece of chromoly tubing that fit snugly over the RV14 stick but was to large to fit inside the lower RV8 stick. This made for a nice tight fit, and I drilled two holes for AN3 bolts.

All upside down of course…..

42C59ECE-1488-4042-8A57-22EAF25E858E.jpg

81C7007E-BFE3-4661-9987-873BC9F5F8FD.jpg

57F6E3FB-F247-4B40-895A-3476E826FCFE.jpg

I don’t have the airplane anymore, but a friend is building an RV14, so I can measure the OD of his stick today. The ID of the RV14 stick isn’t needed. You’ll just need to know the ID of your stick because the 14 stick goes inside the RV8, 7, 9, etc stick. The section of 4130 that served as a shim had to be turned down because the wall thickness was too much. It fit nicely over the 14 stick, but wouldn’t go inside the RV4 stick unless mad smaller.

You could also cut & weld your existing stick to create the offset. I’ve done this on my 2 RV8’s using the jig I made for welding it:

ACC5372E-24D1-4759-8EA7-C5DAD8023EBA.jpg

The cuts were made at about 60* I think and about 2.5” in length. That piece was rotated 180* and welded back in place as seen in the picture. This created a 2” offset.

Cellphone pictures

Scott, when you take a picture in landscape, make sure the button is on the RIGHT. This stopped the inverted picture problem for me.
Stewart Willoughby, 6 final assembly

Thanks Scott. Yes. you're right about the ID. At the time, I wasn't sure if it went outside or inside the original stick.

The welded version is also and option, but at this point my preference is the bent stick,(if it's easy to do!).

Thanks for chasing it up. :)

Why do we want a bent stick?

Well I want (and have) one to move my neutral hand position to where it is comfortable with my wrist on my thigh. I personally find the straight stick to be less comfortable. YMMV….. And this is only in my -8….the -3 and -6 are fine with the straight stick.

Paul

I agree with Iron

I flew with with a straight stick for about 1,500 hours and had the opportunity to get one welded with the bends in it.
Hands down,more comfortable for me. Arm rests naturally with no stretch. Just feels mo better.
It all depends on your body, but for mr it made night and day difference, especially flying formation, which I did for several years and still partake in some. Of course, like other natural orifices, and opinions, everybody has one and you may not agree, but for me, it was an outstanding addition in my cockpit.

The current stick seems to sit a long way fwd. I sit in my mates RV8, and notice that it doesn’t feel comfortable. 2” closer would make a difference. This applies mainly during takeoff and in the flare.

So I am just considering my options as I build, as I’d rather only do things once after I learn from the experiences of others.

Whether it is a change worth making is still up for discipussion.

I would like to have a bent stick so that I can make the stick taller but not hit the two horizontal support pieces:

The lower panel and
The horizontal support a few inches forward of that.

Last edited:
Back