What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tilt-up canopy release handle

cgeyman

Well Known Member
Hi friends. I am planning my panel, and want my iPad where the release pull handle would normally go. I have read prior posts on the pros/ cons of the canopy jettison pull handle, and don’t plan to include it. But is it worth it to fabricate a shortened release handle behind the panel for ease of maintenance, or should I just leave out the whole release mechanism?

Thanks!

RV-9a tilt up in progress
(Cal’s build)

My solution was to leave the lever with the cam arms in place and add a tab below it that would carry a locking pin during normal ops, probably forever.

Canopy removal would require that the pin be removed from under the instrument panel, read: upside down on your head, to remove.

But it was an easy mod and did allow easy installation and removal during construction.

I don't ever envision the canopy coming off for any reason, but I've been proven wrong before! ;)

My solution was to leave the lever with the cam arms in place and add a tab below it that would carry a locking pin during normal ops, probably forever.
Canopy removal would require that the pin be removed from under the instrument panel, read: upside down on your head, to remove.
But it was an easy mod and did allow easy installation and removal during construction.
I don't ever envision the canopy coming off for any reason, but I've been proven wrong before! ;)

Over the 25+ years that I owned my -6, I removed the canopy several times to perform maintenance and upgrades to the instrument panel.

bad ideas

I for one will tell you that I would not leave out a release system for the canopy.
I have an RV-6A that I bought as built.
The builder didn't put in the release handle , But decided to throw away the parts.
I am in the process of putting in a new upgraded panel.
Holy @^&@ what a pain not having a way to get the canopy off easily.
I now have built a cable system and installed the proper parts to make it releasable.
So much nicer to remove the canopy in 3 minutes V/S crawling under the panel to get to the bolts to remove the canopy.
I used a parking brake cable and built the system to get it to work.
I situated the cable T-handle to the left of the Dynon screen on the left of the panel.
You or somebody else will really regret a decision of not putting in the release system down the road.
My three cents worth Art

I ditched the whole assembly...the radio stack penetrated it, and devising a work-around solution wasn't worth it. But instead of bolts holding the canopy in, I used these:

https://www.mcmaster.com/quick-release-pins/l-handle-locking-quick-release-pins/

essentially this if you need an image
4103163-23.jpg

I wanted the canopy release ability but not have it function with the pull "T" handle coming out of the instrument panel. My solution was to use the release pins and mounting blocks just as documented. Then I fabricated a vertical rod that activated the rotation feature and two new mounting guide blocks all mounted on the forward side of the sub panel.
The new vertical rod extends below the sub panel and instrument panel. On this lower end, I attached a lever that allowed me to use a similar "T" as the original. This new handle is not visible to the passenger, but can be pulled by the pilot.

Another suggestion, this has worked fine since 2008 and the canopy has been removed a few times for Maint.. A 1/4 in pin with a 90 deg bend. YMMV

Attachments

• AFS 4500 panel.jpg
    AFS 4500 panel.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 173
Just saw video of release handle moved over to far left. Did some searching but don’t see pictures of the behind panel for that move. Are folks using a cable system to make that work?

Thanks

I wanted the canopy release ability but not have it function with the pull "T" handle coming out of the instrument panel. My solution was to use the release pins and mounting blocks just as documented. Then I fabricated a vertical rod that activated the rotation feature and two new mounting guide blocks all mounted on the forward side of the sub panel.
The new vertical rod extends below the sub panel and instrument panel. On this lower end, I attached a lever that allowed me to use a similar "T" as the original. This new handle is not visible to the passenger, but can be pulled by the pilot.

Do you have a pic of this? I really want the ability to release the canopy, but I'd rather not have that handle sticking out of the panel. Your solution sounds pretty much exactly what I'd envision as an alternative.

Do you have a pic of this? I really want the ability to release the canopy, but I'd rather not have that handle sticking out of the panel. Your solution sounds pretty much exactly what I'd envision as an alternative.

I used all of the Van's pats and made some mod's to them. I have the T handle pointing down, back at the sub-panel. You just reach under the panel and turn the handle. I made a new locking mechanism that requires you to push up on the handle before it will turn.

Larry

Back