What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Software Version 12.1 Issues

n700jl

Well Known Member
I recently installed Version 12.1 in to a friends RV-10 G3X non touch with a remote GTX 23ES remote Transponder. After installing the software I was not able to control the 23ES! The BIG RED X was present at the bottom of the screen! After many hours of troubleshooting calling and emailing Garmin. I was given the procedure reinstalling a previous version of software. In my case I just happened to have V11.8. After reinstalling 11.8 the 23ES worked just fine. No more RED X!!! To make matters worse I also updated a RV-3b with V12.1 and noted that the comm. Freq. transfer function was not working from the G3X to the GNC 255. Same thing went back to V11.8 and everything works as normal.
Lessons learned from this.
1. If it is not broke do not fix it.
2. Do not load a new software version before any cross country trip. Test it first on a short VFR flight first
3. Garmin Please remove V12.1 from your website until bugs can be fixed!

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=188682

I too had issues with 12.1 back in December, and Garmin said they would fix it in a new update. Obviously, hasn't happened.

I have the G3X with a GTN650xi and 23ES. My issue was that VNAV errors began to show up on the GTN. I've made mistakes before and after a lot of back and forth with Garmin, they finally "simulated" my setup and found a bug. The fix was to reinstall 12.0.

Back