What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SLICK MAGNETO RV6 0-320-D2A

Ozlama

I'm New Here
Good morning everyone... I am hoping that someone might be able to give me a steer on this little conundrum!!

So I have just got myself an RV6 with an 0-320-D2A fitted with a pair of Slick mags on the back. Engine life is approx 1000 hours.

During a recent mag check I got a 50rpm drop on the left and 175 on the right. Not happy I swapped the plugs over from left mag to right mag, runi it again with no difference.

Next I put a brand new set of slick leads and cap on the right mag and run it again but still the same!

Next I put a brand new 4370 mag on and run it again and still the same!!

Next I isolated the left mag with a fly lead to the cockpit to prove left was left and right was right through the ACS ignition switch. Still the same.

Next I double checked the timing seemed all good.

Impulse left, Non Impulse right.

So my question is any ideas as to why I am still getting a large mag drop on the right with all new parts fitted.

Many thanks in anticipation of some help.

Last edited:
Not sure.........
Are you testing the wires? plugs?
Many times new is not perfect.
Did it use to run better? or new to you.

So my question is any ideas as to why I am still getting a large mag drop on the right with all new parts fitted.

Timing.

More advance = more RPM. You are looking for too much advance on the mag that you dropped when you got the 175 reduction or too little advance on the mag that is still running when you get the 175 drop. It could be either or both. By advance, I mean a higher numerical timing figure - Larger numbers before TDC = greater advance.

There is a trick or two to timing mags, especially those with impulse couplings, so do some searching if you are new to this and do the timing again - ON BOTH MAGS.

If it were one of the plugs not firing, you would notice SIGNIFICANT roughness when running on one of the mags.

Larry

Last edited:
Good morning everyone... I am hoping that someone might be able to give me a steer on this little conundrum!!

So I have just got myself an RV6 with an 0-320-D2A fitted with a pair of Slick mags on the back. Engine life is approx 1000 hours.

During a recent mag check I got a 50rpm drop on the left and 175 on the right. Not happy I swapped the plugs over from left mag to right mag, runi it again with no difference.

Next I put a brand new set of slick leads and cap on the right mag and run it again but still the same!

Next I put a brand new 4370 mag on and run it again and still the same!!

Next I isolated the left mag with a fly lead to the cockpit to prove left was left and right was right through the ACS ignition switch. Still the same.

Next I double checked the timing seemed all good.

Impulse left, Non Impulse right.

This is classic fouled plug/plugs. Thats where id look first..
Cm

I was going to suggest fouled pugs too. I have the exact engine and had what sounds like the same issue. I took the plugs out, blasted them and everything has been fine since.

I have since learned to taxi with a lien mixture - lien enough that if you give it power you stall to keep from trying to take off without full rich!

Back