What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

angling instruments

prkaye

Well Known Member
I want to add a couple of Garmin G5 units to the passenger side of my panel, which is currently empty. In order to make the units more easily readable from the pilot's seat, I'd like to figure out some way to mount these so that they are angled horizontally a bit towards the pilot's seat. Any tips or ideas for achieving this, without a major panel re-build?

If I were to do that.....

I would build a template in the right size of something stiff like sheet metal or thin plywood. Cover with packing tape and apply really thick-thickened epoxy to area that needs the asymmetrical spacer. Smoosh the template down how you want it and take a knife to form the edges how you want them.

With some patience you should be able to get exactly what you want. If not then scrape it off before it hardens and try again or try something else.

Last edited:
G5 Offset limits

The G5 has specific offset limits. I just mounted one in my RV4 . The faceplate has to be within 1 degree of the lateral axis, so it wont work in an angled panel as your describing.. The internal GPS may be the main reason, and I dont know if there is a work-around for angle mounting.

ah! ok well there goes that idea.
Do you guys think that having a G5 mounted flat on the passenger side of a -9A would be sufficiently readable from the pilot's seat?

Personally, I think that instruments on the passenger side of my airplane are hard to keep looking at. That said, the G5 is pretty bright and would be pretty sharp and visible, but I'm not keen on a navigation instrument that far away and at that angle. If I was forced to put it that far away from me and if I had the panel room, I'd likely use Garmin's recessesed mounting bracket to keep the device flush with the panel. That might provide a better angle.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/flushmount11-15457.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 1.50.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 1.50.08 PM.png
    235.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 1.49.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 1.49.56 PM.png
    193.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
interesting, but how would that flush moutning kit help? It wouldn't change the angle of the instrument wtr the panel, but i guess by recessing it 1/2" or so you'd very slightly change the angle to the pilot's eyes. Do you think this would make a significant difference in readability?

Do you guys think that having a G5 mounted flat on the passenger side of a -9A would be sufficiently readable from the pilot's seat?

We have G5’s in our 182, on the left side. When I sit in the right seat, I have no issues reading the G5’s. The nice thing about digital instruments is that there no parallax error.

Back