What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Will Call Kit Pickup

TTaylor

Hello! My wing kit is set to go to crating in April and will be my first RV-10 kit; I appear to be one of those that will be getting the SB wings before empennage. Anyhow, I'm wanting to do will call with a U-Haul since I'm fortunate enough (at least in terms of proximity to the mothership) to live in the PNW. For those that have done this before me, did you find the logistics of unloading at home to be doable?

I have some of the 4-wheeled dollies from HF and could get a couple of more guys for help. On paper the weights don't seem too outrageous, but don't want to save $ getting it home only to struggle getting it into garage without damage.

Thanks for any tips!

I picked up an entire RV6A quick build kit including the finish kit in 1998 and unloaded everything by myself.

If you are only getting the wings in KIT form, you should have no problem. Anything long and heavy can be moved with a HF dolly, a strong box to place on the dolly and a strap to strap the item to the box and dolly..... you can then pick up the other end and move it.

Thank you! That is basically what I had envisioned for unloading but was afraid I was missing a “gotcha”. Appreciate your response!

I know my 9 wing kit will easily fit in a pickup with the box with the spar and other stuff overhanging out the back. Im sure the 10 wing is a bit larger but should still fit. If you have the dimensions you can tell. You could easily fit everything on a 10' or 12' trailer.

What I did

I picked up both the wing kit and fuselage kit for my 7A and unloaded it myself. I opened the crate while it was still in the back of my pickup and carried the parts into my daylight basement shop. i suspect the RV10 parts are a little longer for spars, longerons, skins, etc,. I considered it a "pre -inventory" with all the walking back and forth. The crate came in last (and I must have had some help with that), and the parts all went back in.

One more thing

And don't forget to stop at Mrs Beeseleys for a burger and milkshake in Toledo WA on the way back! Easy on and off I-5 and it's right there. Pretty much halfway between Vans and Seattle.

And don't forget to stop at Mrs Beeseleys for a burger and milkshake in Toledo WA on the way back! Easy on and off I-5 and it's right there. Pretty much halfway between Vans and Seattle.

Thanks for the lead! We've seen this place several times but never stopped. Will have to give it a try -

I wonder if this is the place my brother talks about. I'll be looking for it when I will call my Emp possibly in June.

I picked mine up this month

Picked up the -10 wings kit earlier this month. I took a car trailer but you could fit the two wing crates in a truck no problem, just put a flag on the long box (spars).

They will help you load with a forklift I think (they helped me load onto my trailer at least). At home I was able to get them off by myself with no assistance or tools like a dolly. I backed up real close to my garage and just slid the crates to the end then over the edge and just before it would fall off, I lifted the end still on the trailer and pivoted it to the side of the trailer. I then slid the crates around on my smooth concrete floor.

When you pick up the fuse, I suggest calling up 2 friends. It is much heavier and in a single crate. It could go in a truck too I think, but I like how my trailer is low to the ground. Only bummer is it could get wet if it rains after pick up.

Picked up the -10 wings kit earlier this month. I took a car trailer but you could fit the two wing crates in a truck no problem, just put a flag on the long box (spars).

They will help you load with a forklift I think (they helped me load onto my trailer at least). At home I was able to get them off by myself with no assistance or tools like a dolly. I backed up real close to my garage and just slid the crates to the end then over the edge and just before it would fall off, I lifted the end still on the trailer and pivoted it to the side of the trailer. I then slid the crates around on my smooth concrete floor.

When you pick up the fuse, I suggest calling up 2 friends. It is much heavier and in a single crate. It could go in a truck too I think, but I like how my trailer is low to the ground. Only bummer is it could get wet if it rains after pick up.

Great info - thank you! We've loosely settled on a plan of flying down one-way and picking up a U-Haul for the way home. Cost is reasonable and I can ensure the crates stay dry. Car trailer is a great idea for when we pick up the empennage; should have a little better weather.

Great info on picking up kits at will call. I will be driving down from British Columbia and picking up my RV 14A tail kit in May. I have decided on a 14" cargo trailer in case the PNW weather doesn't cooperate on the day. Also, nice and secure when I stop for the previous mentioned burger and milkshake in Toledo. Thanks for the tip :)

Back