What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle Quadrant with Mic Switch

Wedge

Sponsor
Looking for a throttle quadrant with just a throttle that has a mic switch.
Cannot find online. Show planes and spruce has one but no mic switch.
Any ideas?

Throttle grip with PTT

Wedge,

I have one of 3 D Stick and Rudder’s LH Conformal Throttle grips I mounted on the standard throttle handle. I think this throttle grip or the P-51D AceMaker grip may be the best fit for the RV-8. I had Paul put a red PTT momentary button on the inside. It looks more flush than the picture on his website and doesn’t stick out like the picture. I put some black heat shrink around the throttle handle, slid the wiring through the heat shrink down the front edge then mounted the handle. Once everything was secure where I wanted it I shrunk the heat shrink around the handle. I tried a couple different kinds in my -8 when he first started making them. They would all work with one exception- the cross country grip is just too big and bulky.

I have 2 radios so I have the GMA 245 com panel controlling whatever radio I want to listen to and talk on with the trigger on the Infinity stick grip. I installed a relay so the throttle grip mic button bypasses the com panel and always talks only on the #2 radio regardless of what’s set in the com panel. That way I don’t have to select anything inside the cockpit while I’m in close formation looking outside. I use #1 for ATC and always use the #2 radio (on the throttle) for formation.

https://www.3dstickandrudder.com/shop

Last edited:
3 D Stick and rudder is the perfect website.
Is there a quadrant that has a hollow lever for the mic wire?
Appreciate the help.

Throttle

Wedge,

The throttle handle itself is a solid piece of metal and I don’t think you’ll find one with a hollow middle. One of my flying buddies modified his handle during the plane build by cutting a small groove in the front leading edge for the wiring to rest in. He then slid black heat shrink over the whole handle like I did to keep the wire in place.

Contact Baxter Quadrants. He sold me a throttle handle with a 2-position momentary switch to retrofit to my Flyboy quadrant that used a round knob.

VV

You might like something a little fancier than this....

pTN0GCk.jpg

The green throttle handle is the top from some sort of bottle, probably an antihistamine container. I made a cover for its outboard end and blind-riveted it to the arm on the bottom. The switch is an Otto P7 with a good feel, and shrink tube holds the wires in place.

All in all, it's light, sturdy enough and was simple to make. Inexpensive, too.

I'd gotten into the habit of saving handy-looking household caps and things, thinking that they'd make decent cockpit devices but this was the only one I've used.

Dave

I have 2 radios so I have the GMA 245 com panel controlling whatever radio I want to listen to and talk on with the trigger on the Infinity stick grip. I installed a relay so the throttle grip mic button bypasses the com panel and always talks only on the #2 radio regardless of what’s set in the com panel. That way I don’t have to select anything inside the cockpit while I’m in close formation looking outside. I use #1 for ATC and always use the #2 radio (on the throttle) for formation.

https://www.3dstickandrudder.com/shop

Hello Oly,

I have a 2nd radio (haven’t installed it yet) and have been thinking about doing the same thing regarding the relay setup. I haven’t yet taken the time to draw a schematic or wiring diagram. I don’t even have an audio panel or want one. Would you mind sending me your schematic if you have one please. Thank you very much. Happy holidays!

Jerry

P.S. I sent you a PM with my email address.

Last edited:
I put the flap switch in mine, but you could easily do similar with a momentary Otto. For that, I'd probably just epoxy it in.
I drilled a wiring escape hole and just tied it to the arm with a sleeved loop that gives plenty of movement.

Attachments

• IMG_2923.jpg
    IMG_2923.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 227
Throttle handles

Where can I find just the black throttle handle for an RV 8A quadrant. Looked at both Baxter and 3D stick and rudder. If Vans have them I couldn’t locate them.

Thanks

TOGA on both sides.

Attachments

• 6C38A6DE-FE9D-4B35-A14B-758A0DE2EB33.jpg
    6C38A6DE-FE9D-4B35-A14B-758A0DE2EB33.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 176
I've got to bite on this. What exactly does your TO/GA switch do? Is it tied into the F/D? I'm used to a TO/GA switch in the auto-throttle realm, but not here.

Back