What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9A Wing Leading Edge Skins - Holes Not on Plans

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
I just started working on my leading edge wing skins (left wing) and I'm scratching my head over a couple of things. There are two 3/32" holes in the top inboard side in between ribs, and there is an access panel on the lower inboard side. I might be blind, but I don't see either of these noted on the plans anywhere. What are these holes and access panel for? They are only in the left skin, not on the one designated for the right wing.

Attachments

• Holes.PNG
    Holes.PNG
    646.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 20211212_142557.jpg
    20211212_142557.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 161
Should be the holes for the stall warning rib. The hole is just an access for said warning device.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Should be the holes for the stall warning rib. The hole is just an access for said warning device.

Oh, gotcha. If I'm not going to install a stall warning device since I'll have AOA, is it customary to just fill the holes with rivets then? I bought the wing kit second-hand. It did come with the stall warning kit, but I'm not sure I see a reason to install it on top of the AOA. Obviously the access panel is no big deal - never too much access I suppose.

I fill the holes with a touch of micro, adding a bid of glass on the inside. Let it set up then sand the outside flush.

Carl

Oh, gotcha. If I'm not going to install a stall warning device since I'll have AOA, is it customary to just fill the holes with rivets then? I bought the wing kit second-hand. It did come with the stall warning kit, but I'm not sure I see a reason to install it on top of the AOA. Obviously the access panel is no big deal - never too much access I suppose.

I thought about covering it like Carl mentioned but in the end I installed it and just tied it to a light on my panel as a backup. Just a nice backup in case a bird takes out my pitot tube and AOA.

DOCTAH YOST!! Is that you? I only know one skelrad guy! Glad to see your cranking away on a plane finally!

DOCTAH YOST!! Is that you? I only know one skelrad guy! Glad to see your cranking away on a plane finally!

Guilty! This just proves how long it took me to get this dream started - my username came about because it was the class I was studying for when I first stumbled on VAF (Yahoo group back then). It only took me 20+ years to get things underway.

PM me with your correct email - the one I have for you is ancient. Would love to catch up.

Brandon

I’m currently building a set of -9 wings and mine doesn’t have them.

Mine does. I'm 90% certain that these holes come pre-punched when, only when, the stall switch kit option is purchased along with the wing kit. The switch kit includes drilling templates and instructions for cutting holes in the skin, which I infer to be aimed at retrofitting to a finished wing. I was reasonably happy to see that I'd be able to skip those steps.

Back