What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting inside of cowling

DMFenster

Well Known Member
I brushed on a layer of tinted epoxy on the inside of my cowling. Looks OK, but I hate the pink (it still shows through)... Was wondering if anyone painted the inside and how it has held up. Thinking of a coat of rattle can enamel prior to the heat shield application on lower cowl. Pros/Cons?

Dave

Why not line the inside with aluminum contact paper (foil)?

IMG_1212.JPG

Epoxy to seal, sand lightly, epoxy primer, two-part single stage paint. Vans self-stick heat shield foil to shadow the exhaust system. Holds up great, easy to clean.

Two coats of white PPG epoxy primer - white to reduce heat absorption. As this is a sealer primer there is little need to top coat. Heat shield where needed. Has held up well for 13 years on my first RV.

Carl

You can just tint the epoxy. West System sells white pigment #501 tinting that you just mix in. I bought a small bottle at West Marine. Brush the tinted epoxy on or roll it on the inside of the cowling and it gets rid of the pink and makes a nice impervious hard shell coating.

This is 3 coats of epoxy.
IMG_3720-M.jpg

Holds up great and wipes clean with some Dawn detergent and paper towels.

You can just tint the epoxy. West System sells white pigment #501 tinting that you just mix in. I bought a small bottle at West Marine. Brush the tinted epoxy on or roll it on the inside of the cowling and it gets rid of the pink and makes a nice impervious hard shell coating.

This is 3 coats of epoxy.
IMG_3720-M.jpg

Holds up great and wipes clean with some Dawn detergent and paper towels.

Exactly what I did also. Very happy with the results.

Two coats of white PPG epoxy primer - white to reduce heat absorption. As this is a sealer primer there is little need to top coat. Heat shield where needed. Has held up well for 13 years on my first RV.

Carl

I have same and 10 years of easy cleaning with a little spritz of your favorite cleaner and a light wipe and looks like the day I painted it.

Ditto

Epoxy to seal, sand lightly, epoxy primer, two-part single stage paint. Vans self-stick heat shield foil to shadow the exhaust system. Holds up great, easy to clean.

AS Dan and the others have said. Only one comment. We used the Hi-temp. auto header paint as one more layer to help keep the heat away from the glass. We used silver color, looks good inside the cowl. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

I brushed on a layer of tinted epoxy on the inside of my cowling. Looks OK, but I hate the pink (it still shows through)... Was wondering if anyone painted the inside and how it has held up. Thinking of a coat of rattle can enamel prior to the heat shield application on lower cowl. Pros/Cons?

Dave

That's what I did. Rattled a can of white rustoleum primer over epoxied surface.
Any leaks will leave a mark to locate them. Every condition inspection I touch it up. 2,400 hours + :)

White

What Vlad said.
White helps brighten up the inside when you check the oil and peer inside the access door....you do look inside don't you?
You might see something amiss like a drop of oil or a loose wire, etc.

FYI...James cowls actually advise finishing the inside and tell you to avoid getting fluids on the inside surface until it is protected.

Back