What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTR receiver audio

Draker

Well Known Member
Has anyone with one of Garmin's COMM radios gotten the "Receiver Audio" function to work? From their manual:

4.11 Receiver Audio

RECEIVER AUDIO OUT is a 40 mW audio output that is intended to drive a recording device or an audio panel.

RECEIVER AUDIO OUT supplies 40 mW (4.9 Vrms) into a 600Ω load, and is generally connected to the audio panel (if used). This output can also drive a recording device. When driving a recording device the output level will typically need to be reduced. The output level is controlled through configuration mode.

RECEIVER AUDIO OUT is the summation of the receiver audio, COM sidetone audio, intercom audio, and AUX audio.​

This seems like a great option to wire up to a camera to record intercom audio, but in my install, I can't get it to output an actual audio signal. Garmin's support (who are always excellent and patient with me) are stumped on this one, and say it's a software problem. So I thought I'd ask here: Anyone else encountered and managed to fix this?

Has anyone with one of Garmin's COMM radios gotten the "Receiver Audio" function to work? From their manual:

4.11 Receiver Audio

RECEIVER AUDIO OUT is a 40 mW audio output that is intended to drive a recording device or an audio panel.

RECEIVER AUDIO OUT supplies 40 mW (4.9 Vrms) into a 600Ω load, and is generally connected to the audio panel (if used). This output can also drive a recording device. When driving a recording device the output level will typically need to be reduced. The output level is controlled through configuration mode.

RECEIVER AUDIO OUT is the summation of the receiver audio, COM sidetone audio, intercom audio, and AUX audio.​

This seems like a great option to wire up to a camera to record intercom audio, but in my install, I can't get it to output an actual audio signal. Garmin's support (who are always excellent and patient with me) are stumped on this one, and say it's a software problem. So I thought I'd ask here: Anyone else encountered and managed to fix this?

Ryan,

The Receiver Out audio output is typically only used in installations where the GTR 200 is connected to an audio panel (using pins 10,29).

I realize your system doesn't have an audio panel and you need the intercom function of the GTR 200B, but as a test, if you disable the intercom on your GTR 200B, you will see this audio output become active.

The simpler GTR 200 has this Receiver Out audio output active whether or not the internal intercom is enabled, but for the Bluetooth capable GTR 200B, this Receiver Out audio output signal is only available when the internal intercom function is disabled.

Steve

Ahh, you're right. Digging into the E-mail chain with Garmin, that's exactly what they suggested I try, I just missed it. Yes, with the intercom off, those pins output audio correctly. I can see how that might be a software bug.

For now, I suppose if I want to record intercom audio, I could run a cord from the passenger headset jack to the camera. Seems silly when the intercom has a pin specifically for audio out, but it works ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In case anyone else was experiencing this, Garmin acknowledged over E-mail that this is an issue engineering was aware of and they plan to address it in some future update, so there’s hope!

In case anyone else was experiencing this, Garmin acknowledged over E-mail that this is an issue engineering was aware of and they plan to address it in some future update, so there’s hope!

Looks like they already did:

GTR 200, Ver. 3.50, as of Aug 23, 2022

• Add recorder output support to the GTR 200B model
  • General improvements to system operation

Wow, I didn't even see that. What a coincidence that I remembered the E-mail and decided to update this thread a day after the update was released. Must be ESP or something! I'll try it out this weekend and report back how it works.

GTR Receiver Audio Out

Yes, we just released this software a few days ago, it will be included in the next G3X Touch software release as well.

Thanks,

Justin

Confirmed it works! GTR 200B now will output audio to RECEIVER AUDIO OUT while the intercom is on. The audio is a little noisy, but that is almost certainly my fault in the wiring somewhere.

Thank you, Garmin. It feels like this update was released just for me. Incredible!

Back