-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-03-2022, 08:35 AM

Default After 50 Years, Is It Still The Best??

I posted this article in 2007 https://vansairforce.net/community/s...ad.php?t=19692

My question to those who have owned one and moved on to bigger and better. Is it still the best handling homebuilt out there??
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2022 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 07-03-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I posted this article in 2007 https://vansairforce.net/community/s...ad.php?t=19692

My question to those who have owned one and moved on to bigger and better. Is it still the best handling homebuilt out there??
I don't know about other makes of homebuilt aircraft, but compared to the other RV models I've flown (7, 8, 10) it is certainly the most responsive and nimble of the bunch.

Donated 2022
Old 07-03-2022, 09:15 AM

Default Still the best

For what it was designed to do, I'd say "yes". Van invented the term "total performance" and with a speed envelope from 50 - 200 mph he pretty much proved his point. And then there are all the refinements through the years and the support network - as evidenced by this forum here - I don't think anyone else has come close. They've moved on to other missions like STOL aircraft instead and the guys at Cub Crafters have had similar (but different) success.

Now as for "best handling", I'm pretty sure the Acroduster I'm building will be a better handling airplane than my RV-3 was and is more aesthetically appealing, but that's comparing apples to oranges.
AFF Skydiving Instructor (Ret)
IF1 Reno Racer (Ret)
IF1 Crew Chief
A&P / IA
Parachute Rigger
Acroduster SA750 - Almost finished!
Old 07-03-2022, 12:16 PM

Here is the article (originally published in the November 1973 issue of Air Progress) from the website of the author, Budd Davisson:

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepRV3.html

Last edited by RV8JD : 07-03-2022 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:20 PM

Some years back, there was an article in Kitplanes, I believe, asking three writers this same question. Two of the three said RV-4. That was my second choice behind the Thunder Mustang, chosen because it's ailerons didn't get heavy at speed. At least, not up to the mid-200s.

Of course, there's more than handling as airplane criteria -- performance, ride in turbulence, maintainability, interior comfort, visibility, etc. Not that the RVs don't do well, there, mostly.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:43 PM

I don't think so. I had 0-32 160hp RV-3 with wood prop and RV-4 with IO-360 and CS. I think the RV-4 is better, faster, more range.