What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X - VPX Integration

cderk

Well Known Member
There is an RS232 connection between the VPX and G3X system that provides stuff like flap position to the G3X.

Seems like there is a TON of other information that ISN’T being shared that would be really nice.

For instance - I’d love to see CAS messages on my screen if I leave my fuel pump on or for my Pitot heat… just as a reminder. There is also a ton of other information now that they have the PPS system integrated. I have a main battery and then an IBBS for my avionics and one for my ignition. It would be great to show the voltages of all 3 batteries. Yes, I could use an input somewhere and wire it in… but WHY? The data is already there over the serial port.

Maybe Garmin and Vertical Power could work together to make this happen. Seems like there are a ton of folks using the VPX. It would be a very welcomed addition.

Charlie

Starter annunciator Vertical Power Circuit

VP uses a feature that they call Starter Annunciator which seems ok but possibly not really useful. We all have heard stories of the GA pilot who shuts off his engine only to find the starter still engaged and I guess this was meant to inform the pilot the starter still had power?? This might be more folklore than fact. For those VP users that have installed this feature is it beneficial? Manual says it "reports" to the EFIS? Where is this done on the Garmin G3X? (My current VPX panel builder would not/did not install so not familiar with the operation practicality)

This was referenced in a previous closed thread. It does have a since of truism involved.

Starter annunciator .....................................(Covered - Push start, prop turning = annunciation)

Another "feature" VPX uses is the start circuit gets disengaged when the RPM is over X RPM. Does sound worthwhile but for my 14 and 10 will have a starter disable switch. Another builder uses this feature to light the button to show it's active. A feature I was looking to add before I heard this. It's pretty informative to show the button lit and if you push it the props going to turn or better yet the starter will engage and if the prop is already moving a bad thing. Agan my 14-panel builder did not use this function so not familiar with the +/- issues. (There are always some) Current users would like to hear the benefit.

Thanks

Back