VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #21  
Old 02-06-2022, 09:22 PM
Scott Hersha Scott Hersha is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 2,368
Default

I use these ones on my engine mount tubes, and a few other places firewall forward:

https://griplockties.com/

I camped next to the inventer at Oshkosh a few years ago, and he gave me a few to try. I was sold. They are relatively expensive, but I donít use that many of them. I still use standard ones everywhere else - and I cut the tail off flush.
__________________
SH
RV6/2001 built 2000/sold 2005
RV8 Fastback/2008 built/sold 2015
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019/sold2021
RV6/August 2022 build - Phase 1
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2022
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-07-2022, 02:48 AM
Mr_Sierra_Juliet Mr_Sierra_Juliet is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 4
Default

I'm surprised that nobody has noticed that the serated teeth are on the inside of the tie. Aviation items have the serated teeth on the outside to leave a nice smooth surface against whatever it is you are securing.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-07-2022, 06:52 AM
Moshonsk Moshonsk is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 23
Default

I've never used zip ties on any of my builds. Wax lacing cord all the way!
Always have the correct size on hand and no danger of bloody snags or pokes. Plus you can use them on engine mount tube with no fear of wear or cutting.
Also looks alot nicer than zip ties.....
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-07-2022, 07:30 AM
wawrzynskivp wawrzynskivp is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Incline Village Nv
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
I use these ones on my engine mount tubes, and a few other places firewall forward:

https://griplockties.com/

I camped next to the inventer at Oshkosh a few years ago, and he gave me a few to try. I was sold. They are relatively expensive, but I donít use that many of them. I still use standard ones everywhere else - and I cut the tail off flush.
Neat!!! .
__________________
Vincent 'Duck' Wawrzynski
LtCol USMC (Ret)
F-18/F-5/F-16, AH-1/UH-1/CH-53/CH-46, C-130/AN-2
RV-7 complete with all the gadgets
Aviation Safety/Accident Inspector/Investigator
San Jose State University Av Faculty, CFI/GFI S/M (I)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-07-2022, 08:06 AM
stigaro stigaro is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sierra_Juliet View Post
I'm surprised that nobody has noticed that the serated teeth are on the inside of the tie. Aviation items have the serated teeth on the outside to leave a nice smooth surface against whatever it is you are securing.
I don't see how that would be possible with standard zip ties.
__________________
RV-14A
Empennage - 95% complete
SB Wings - 80% complete
SB Fuselage - ordered Aug '21
Finishing Kit - ordered Jan '22
2022 Dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-07-2022, 03:58 PM
Mr_Sierra_Juliet Mr_Sierra_Juliet is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 4
Default

I'm not sure I understand your response?

There are multiple types of zip ties / tywraps / whatever wording you would like to use. Have a look at https://www.hellermanntyton.co.uk/co...es-and-fixings to see what I mean. There are inside and outside serated versions and the inside ones are more susceptible to abrading whatever they are attached to.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-07-2022, 04:46 PM
funflying funflying is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: arvada, co
Posts: 528
Default

Also heard a large toenail clipper leaves a rounded cut. My 2cents.
__________________
Patrick Claar
Arvada, CO BJC
RV12, #401, Flying 2013, N612PC
RV6, 1996-2010 sold
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-07-2022, 07:19 PM
stigaro stigaro is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sierra_Juliet View Post
I'm not sure I understand your response?

There are multiple types of zip ties / tywraps / whatever wording you would like to use. Have a look at https://www.hellermanntyton.co.uk/co...es-and-fixings to see what I mean. There are inside and outside serated versions and the inside ones are more susceptible to abrading whatever they are attached to.
OK, gotcha. I didn't realize you were to referring to using a different zip tie than what was in the photo.
__________________
RV-14A
Empennage - 95% complete
SB Wings - 80% complete
SB Fuselage - ordered Aug '21
Finishing Kit - ordered Jan '22
2022 Dues paid
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:42 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.