What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel leak indicators

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
Currently doing my annual. We've lined the center tunnel with black sound-deadening foam, and that coupled with the blue anodized fuel fittings makes searching for fuel leaks neigh-on impossible with just a flashlight and a pair of eyeballs. I can neither see nor smell anything out of the ordinary.

I thought of lining the tunnel floor with a couple of white paper towels so at the next annual I could see leaks much better, but instantly rejected that as a fire hazard (we all know how hot that tunnel can get).

Trying to come up with a better way to do this. Suggestions anyone?

You're worried about the paper towel fire hazard but not the foam?

+1

I would much rather have 2 sheets of paper towel burn than all of that black foam. WAY less toxic. Also, if you are leaking fuel in there, I would suggest that your fire risk is much higher than paper towels. Fuel will light much easier than paper.

Either way, the risk is low. If you have a source of heat that can spontaneously ignite a paper towel in your tunnel, you have much bigger problems than the fumes from the paper towels.

Just one mans opinion.

Larry

I wrapped the fuel fitting joints with a small piece of white paper towel and scotch taped them in place. Opened them up every time I had the tunnel cover off to check and verify no blue stains from a leak and replaced them. Like mentioned, you have bigger issues if you have a fuel fire in the tunnel than a couple small pieced of paper.

Find the thread on foam insulation reacting with the aluminum tunnel and floorboards and, well, for lack of a better term, rotting them away! The pictures looked VERY scary.

My method of checking for fuel leaks at fittings is to wrap my (clean dry) finger around the B nut and check for dampness, I don't solely rely on visual cues. & is my practice to touch every fitting during annuals, & usually every time the cowling comes off too.

Back