What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 not powering up - coincident with G3X update to 8.72

jamesrw2002

Hey all,

I have had the G5/G3X system in my aircraft for about 9 months now and haven't really had any major issues (save for a crazy CANBUS issue that Walt Aronow bailed me out of..)

This morning before my flight, I updated my G3X to 8.72 and now my G5 isn't powering up.

I haven't had time to really do any troubleshooting yet (I guess it's possible that it's a power issue - but the Fuse for the G5 is fine.) But it seemed weird that this happened immediately after the update.

Has anyone experience anything like this before?

My G5 will not power up once in a while when the avionics master is turned on. I have to hold the power button on the G5 down for about 15 seconds and then it powers up normally. Has happened 3 or 4 times in 3 years. Its not in a RV but may be away to get yours to power up.

I've had the same problem, with about the same number of times as the previous response - maybe 3 or four times in the few years I've had the G5. I discussed it with G3Xpert when it happened the first time, and a subsequent update include a supposed fix for this, but I have experienced it a couple more times since then. My recovery experience is the same - hold the power button for a very long time and eventually it comes up. But, before that you can cycle the power as many times as you want, but no-go. Seems like some kind of backup battery v.s. external power and power up decision/logic bug....I think the folks without the backup battery don't see this.

Spot on gents, you do have to hold down the power button for what seems like way too long. Never seen this before. But that fixed it!

VAF to the rescue again!

Thanks!

Back