What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New builder questions

Jeffcc17

Hello,

Just started my rv10 VS and rudder. I have a few questions.
1. while working on the skins, I realized i was dimpling in the wrong direction for 5 dimples before i caught the mistake. Can I just dimple in the opposite direction?

2. I went to a build class at Synergy south and was given a tip to epoxy the trailing edge (VA140)of the rudder to skins while clamping it to aluminum angle then rivet. What kind of epoxy should I use?

Any tips from more experience would be much appreciated.

Jeff

I believe you are allowed one "do-over" for dimples (so, you only get one extra chance to get them right). Also, since you only did a few, this shouldn't be a problem. Learn from the mistake (measure twice, cut once). For the trailing edges, I used proseal and a steel angle to keep things straight. FYI, if you smear a light coat of vasoline on the angle, it will prevent the proseal from gluing your work to it.. Happy building..

Use the Sharpie!!

Some simple advice for you would be to make liberal use of a sharpie to mark panels and everything else.

In, out, up, down, left, right - make notes to yourself for "to do laters", rivet sizes, etc.

Wipe it off later with the squirt bottle of alcohol and a rag.

Anything that you look up should be marked first, and then you won't need to look it up again. A big time saver and leaves brain cells free to concentrate on other issues!

Cheers

On the wrong side dimple, don't just dimple the other way. Take a flush rivet set and flatten the dimple first, then dimple the opposite direction.

On my trailing edge trailing edge, I did the same as Pilot Mike, I bought a long piece of steel angle at Homedepot. Then used Proseal to hold it all together. You can also use the steel angle as a back rivet plate when you get ready to drive the rivets, just make sure the surface of the angle is smooth.

Here's a pic of mine waiting for the proseal to set-up:
ACtC-3fU3CDS8nInPSSbsEMXX2LfrEqScXHuFaQGSBCaUJhCbKAm6mKtYhPAq8s1-tuuyF8CScWBsgoJtLfFewUElJk4iedX_CnJJa8qCjWUCxj9uZITU4KKJGwWK46DzWswhIPu-qrxr0ERB-bPkMwkLKiQhg=w1189-h669-no

I'm not building an RV-10, but I am bonding and riveting my RV-3B fuselage. I'm using West System's thickened G/flex. We've tested it and it gives excellent bonds in sanded and cleaned aluminum surfaces. My mentor prefers 3M's 2216 B/A, but I find it harder to work with. It also gives excellent bonds on similar surfaces.

Dave

Back