What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aveo Engineering Zip Tip III Arrived

Karetaker

Well Known Member
Howdy everyone. I received my new Zip Tip III wing Tips a couple days ago and made a video showcasing these brand new tips. Mine were one of the first, if the not first, to arrive in the states with this new design. The way I understand it, these are the replacements for the Zip Tip Premieres.

They are not cheap, but oh so cool! When I get back to finishing the wings, I will continue to make videos on these new tips and how they function, fit, wiring, etc.

Check them out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nG-AfxofoQ

Look good

I'd be curious as to how they line up with your aileron trailing edge. Also, keep in mind that all the hardware is metric. The large screw threaded into the white nylon fitting is an up and down adjustment for the lights.

I'd also recommend wiring the landing and taxi lights together. There really is no need to separate. They are LED's so the draw is minimal. You can't have enough light on the ground or in the air.

I had a short clip of just the inside of the light module that somehow got deleted. I did mention in that clip about the light adjustment. I also mentioned it in the comment section of the current video. Had I not wrapped the tips back in the box, I would make a new clip.

Fitting these to the wing will be interesting, but I believe it will go just fine. I just can't rearrange the shop at the moment to get the wings out and do a very simple trial fit. (Fuselage is in work.) All in due time. When I get into it, I will post back here with updates.

That's it

How do you do wig-wag if they are wired together? Or do they use the taxi lights for that?

Both the taxi and landing serve as wigwag when wired together. For small GA aircraft I've never understood the need for separate landing and taxi lights. You just can't get enough light in the air or on the ground. No real reason to separate with the low draw LED's.

How do you do wig-wag if they are wired together? Or do they use the taxi lights for that?

Schematics are up on the website -- https://www.aveoengineering.com/ziptips-premiere/ --- click on "Specs"

There are a few options that I can see for Wig Wag functionality beyond what's built in. The fact that there are Landing and Taxi in each module opens up some unique flashing options;

Leave the Aveo Wig Wag control disconnected AND cut the wig wag syncro wire, then connect the landing (L/R) or taxi (L/R), or both back to your Wig Wag controller (Garmin G3X GAD 27), or roll your own flasher with a Whelen module (https://www.strobesnmore.com/Whelen...MIwK_fkMvb5gIV2v_jBx0apwTAEAQYAyABEgLQOvD_BwE), or whatever...

B

Howdy everyone. I received my new Zip Tip III wing Tips a couple days ago and made a video showcasing these brand new tips. Mine were one of the first, if the not first, to arrive in the states with this new design. The way I understand it, these are the replacements for the Zip Tip Premieres.

They are not cheap, but oh so cool! When I get back to finishing the wings, I will continue to make videos on these new tips and how they function, fit, wiring, etc.

Check them out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nG-AfxofoQ

I received mine on Monday (12/29) for my RV-8. I unpacked them today, but I didn't find any plugs for them in the shipping box. Did yours come with a plug that you would attach to the plug on the back of the light module inside the access plate and a bit of wire that you'd extend into the wing?

I also wanted to confirm the wiring diagram on the website is still correct as that image has been on the site for a couple of years and the other images are for the second version of the Zip Tips and not the current third version.

I sent Damien an email, though with the holiday I don't expect to hear back until later in the week. Like you, I'm not anywhere near ready to install these onto a wing, but I was thinking about getting some switches and Klixon breakers and building a test box just to light them up. I don't know what kind of connector to use. All I had in my shipping box were the left and right wing tip.

I'm impressed with the tips themselves. They look really sharp and well put together. But I admit I am a little disappointed in the lack of documentation/guidance that was (wasn't?) included in the box. Hopefully Damien comes through via email.

Last edited:
Hello Damien. Yes, I received two connectors with my new ZTIII tips. They connect directly with the existing plug inside the wing. They are pre-wired and have about 8" of wire on them. They are marked as right and left...I assume the wiring is slightly different between the two.

Inside the baggy that these connectors came in is a colored wiring diagram. This diagram is specifically for the ZTIII...clearly labeled and nicely done. (my opinion)

I would talk to Damien at Aveo post-haste to get the connectors and diagram. You paid good money for these tips; you should get everything you paid for!

Wiring

Options. I'm using the VPX Pro which has the wig wag option built it. So, I just used the power, ground and sync functions and will program the wig wag with the VPX.

For those that have the new versions and tail light, do not test these with just a battery. They must be driven through the primary light module.

Hello Damien. Yes, I received two connectors with my new ZTIII tips. They connect directly with the existing plug inside the wing. They are pre-wired and have about 8" of wire on them. They are marked as right and left...I assume the wiring is slightly different between the two.

Inside the baggy that these connectors came in is a colored wiring diagram. This diagram is specifically for the ZTIII...clearly labeled and nicely done. (my opinion)

I would talk to Damien at Aveo post-haste to get the connectors and diagram. You paid good money for these tips; you should get everything you paid for!

Turns out it?s my bad. The connectors and diagram were hidden in the bubble wrap. He responded early this morning, and I searched the left over packing materiel. Found the packet with the details.

Both the taxi and landing serve as wigwag when wired together. For small GA aircraft I've never understood the need for separate landing and taxi lights. You just can't get enough light in the air or on the ground. No real reason to separate with the low draw LED's.

I always assumed that landing lights would be blinding to other aircraft on the ground, and taxi lights being aimed at the ground, would be more friendly. Sort of like your high/low beams. Simple to wire that way, and you can still use everything for wigwag, so why not?

Really nice looking lights.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up Darwin. I would like to power up my lights; not necessarily at full power, just to ,make sure they light.

Damien, Glad you have the connectors. When you get around to lighting up the wing tips, please let me know how you did it...I want to bench light mine as well prior to install.

Thanks guys!

I use my cell phone went to their website and got all kind of weird redirects to advertisements when I touch menu or any information on their page. How much are they?

I have the earlier zip-tips, and a VPX-Pro. The WigWag function doesn't really work since the ZipTip LEDs seem to take .25 seconds to turn on, so the wig wag ends up looking like a flash...

For those curious, the ZTIII cost $3000.. plus shipping. (figure another +/- $200.00)
:eek: :D Thank you.

Sticking with my stock batman wing tips and FlyLED landing lights and Whelen Mircoburst LED strobe/nav. I am into it for less than $500 not including tips that cane with kit...

The "winglet" design is fine, but there is no magic in aviation (aka no free lunch). Horner, systemic, sheared... wing tips, you'd be hard pressed to find solid data on improvement. Also no wing tip is optimal for all flight conditions. It's a trade off.... I am sure these perform well and the light they emit is awesome.

With that said they are sexy. :D

There have been discussions about the zip tips increasing roll forces. I am interested in the tips but want to see a few pireps before placing a order. It would also be interesting to see if they have any effect on stall speed and top speed.
G

The "winglet" terminology is what Aveo put on these new tips. I was told, going forward, all new Zip Tips will be of this "winglet" design.

As for performance "improvements"; no clue. My guess is the only noticeable change will be the aesthetics.

All in due time...

These tips resemble the Horner Tips produced in the mid '70's.

While visiting John Thorp at Whitemans Field, Burbank, I listened to a conversation between John and a Bonanza owner, bragging about the performance advantage of his new ($2500, then - I think) tips. He was frustrated because he wanted to fly but the A&P had only installed one side.

John told him to go ahead and let him know if he felt a difference. We walked on and about 45 min later, he came to John's hangar, both puzzled and upset, wondering what he spent his $$ on as he could tell no difference.

FWIW

Back