What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose wheel fairing

Condor

Hi All 14A owners
I’m having trouble getting my nose wheel fairing to fit correctly.
I’ve got everything set up as per 46A-11 with the aircraft levelled and a jig supporting the tail end of the U-1013B rear fairing at the correct height. With the end of the fairing positioned 20 27/32 inches from the spacer on top of the tyre I would need to cut a much larger slot than standard on the front fairing- about 1 1/2 inches more.
If I position the rear fairing as far forward as it will go ( touching the nose gear leg at the weld supports) I would still have to deepen the cutout on the front fairing by about 3/4 inch to get the two halves to meet.
I don’t want to move the rear fairing any more forward than on the plans as there may be shimmy issues.
What have others done?
Any advice greatly appreciated..

Ian.

It has been awhile and I don’t remember all the dimensions, but since no one with recent experience has chimed in, I will show you how I ended up. Perhaps, it will be helpful.

I ended up with a pretty large hole in the front fairing to keep from rubbing, closing some of it by riveting a slice of aluminum to the rear fairing. Overall, I am happy with it. Also, you can see where I attached stainless steel washers to protect the paint around the tow bar hole and extended the tow bar bolts. Highly recommended.

Good luck.

Attachments

• 9C32D50F-DD7E-4029-BE6F-3F2FAA27A25C.jpg
    9C32D50F-DD7E-4029-BE6F-3F2FAA27A25C.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 447D9C6A-7BF5-49E6-AD41-C6AA04E55C28.jpg
    447D9C6A-7BF5-49E6-AD41-C6AA04E55C28.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 167
RV1A-A nosewheel fairing

Slight thread drift.
To the early adopters.
Using the Beringer nosewheel instead of the VANS stock wheel,
could you please share any tips on the changes needed to make the fairing fit?

Back