What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Local Kid Steals Dad's RV!

Pat Hatch

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Here’s a local kid who grew up around his dad’s RV-7 and now is flying it solo.

https://youtu.be/04V_5C2vf94

Tyler Savrda just turned 17 in December and since then has acquired his PPL and his rotorcraft helicopter license. He’s scheduled for his instrument check ride in a couple of weeks. In September he enters Jacksonville University’s aviation program. Pretty amazing kid. While I credit his parents for most of his success, you can’t discount the influence the RV has had in his development. He literally grew up while his dad, Tom, was building the -7, made numerous trips to fly-ins, including Oshkosh where his dad won the Lindy for the RV-7. You would often see him hanging out with his dad around the hangars here in Vero. On Sundays, we would have our regular breakfast flights and he was often in the right seat of dad’s airplane. He flew with me countless times on the way home because he wanted to do aerobatics and his dad wasn’t into that. I was impressed with his natural flying ability, and it wasn’t long before I had him landing the airplane. He definitely caught the RV bug. For sure!

Tom and Tyler are currently building a -9 so that Tyler will have something to build time in. And so Tom can get his -7 back!

So this story may be about Tyler but it’s also about how this wonderful airplane has molded a kid’s life!

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 255
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 242
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 265
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 328
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 341
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 329
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
LOVE to hear stories like this,
I couldn't get any of my three my kids interested in airplanes when I was building.
Now 25 years later, my youngest daughter just got her instrument, and commercial
Thanks Art

Great story

I’ve got a 4 year old and getting within sight of the end of my -10 build.
He asks if I’m going to teach him how to fly in the plane often as he’s walking by it in the garage.
I guess time will tell, but it’s one of the main motivators along with seeing a decent amount of the country with the family.

My 8 year old loves to fly in my 9A, and is excited about helping build the 10 kit I have on order. Looking forward to good times!

LOVE IT!! My 20yo nephew just got his A&P license with Florida State College - Jacksonville. I wanted him to do something on my airplane so he would sign my maintenance logbook. He installed a lower fuselage beacon then signed the logbook. OK, I didn't need an A&P to sign it off but now my airplane was the 1st logbook he ever officially signed as an A&P.

Kiki doing the instal.jpg

Another nephew of mine (19yo) is working on his A&P and should be finished next year. He loves it and is doing awesome. Hopefully I will have 2 nephews with A&P licenses.

BTW, a good friend of mine is a professor of Aeronautics at Jacksonville University. He will enjoy it there.

:cool:

Last edited:
pat, great post, great kid that is going to go places. keep us posted. love the title. turbo out.

Doing the dirty work

Pic of my son helping drill some holes in the canopy frame. Younger back and better eyes. Has his private, working on getting a UPT slot with his guard unit, but claims the RV when I’m gone. Haha

37FC855E-0C83-424A-84E7-61D2EEFA36C6.jpg

When My kids graduated High School my graduation present to them was a rock-climbing trip up in New Hampshire. I told them they could take my RV. They loaded it up with gear and disappeared for a weekend. This was before ADS-b...
7 weeks later they returned! The only way I was able to track them was by looking on-line at my credit card fuel charges. They traveled most of the East coast. That was a stolen RV !

Back