What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Condition inspection timing hypothetical question.

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
Can you guys confirm if my thinking is correct?

My airworthiness was issued 2/23/21 so I have until 3/1/22 to sign off the C.I.

However, apparently getting my repairmen certificate takes way more time than I thought. IE I’m still trying to get an appointment with the FAA. My contact seems to think we can get it done in time but we shall see…

So let’s say it’s late and don’t get the C.I. signed off until 3/14/22. Am I correct in my assumption that I can’t fly from 3/1 to 3/14 and that my next C.I. would be due on 4/1/23?

Thanks for the help

P.S. start the application process early, I literally made first contact with the FAA in December…

Last edited:
Your dates are basically correct. You cannot fly the airplane after Feb 28 if it has not been inspected and signed off. And inspections are good for 12 calendar months, e.g., there is a grace period to the end of the 12th month.
May I offer a suggestion? If you have no previous experience inspecting airplanes, consider hiring an RV experienced A&P (does NOT have to be A&P/IA) to do the inspection, and simultaneously teach you what he looks for, tricks and techniques, checklists, etc. Then by next year (hopefully you’ll have your limited repairman certificate by then!) you’ll be all set.

I had the FAA guy come out and approve me for my repairman certificate. Then I did my annual and signed it putting “waiting for certificate number” in my log entry. When I got my certificate, I just added the number. Hopefully that is correct! That is how the guy told me to do it.

I had the FAA guy come out and approve me for my repairman certificate. Then I did my annual and signed it putting “waiting for certificate number” in my log entry. When I got my certificate, I just added the number. Hopefully that is correct! That is how the guy told me to do it.

They should have gave you a temporary certificate just like a temporary pilot license. The Repairman number will be the SAME as your Pilot number. Both are AIRMAN certificates.

I concern with Bob Turner’s suggestion. I bought my RV7A from the original builder who had done his own condition inspections. Since I was not the original builder I was forced to hire an AP for these annual inspections.

Let’s just say, the more eyes that closely examine your build work the better. I’ve used four different AP/IAs and APs over the seven years I’ve owned the aircraft. Each inspection identified “something” that the builder did that wasn’t “up to stuff.” In the beginning a lot of items! Each inspection and every AP taught me more and more about my aircraft and how to work on it. Their reviews have been worth a fortune in maintenance, education and safety.

Now days I do a lot of my own work with the annual condition inspection validating those efforts. It’s my fervent belief that you can’t have too many experienced eyes looking at your aircraft.

They should have gave you a temporary certificate just like a temporary pilot license. The Repairman number will be the SAME as your Pilot number. Both are AIRMAN certificates.

Pretty sure that isn’t true as my repairman’s number is not the same as my airman number…

I did get a temp certificate. I forgot that part but went back and looked and I was given the temp certificate. It took about 4 weeks to get my plastic repairman’s license card.

I concern with Bob Turner’s suggestion. I bought my RV7A from the original builder who had done his own condition inspections. Since I was not the original builder I was forced to hire an AP for these annual inspections.

Let’s just say, the more eyes that closely examine your build work the better. I’ve used four different AP/IAs and APs over the seven years I’ve owned the aircraft. Each inspection identified “something” that the builder did that wasn’t “up to stuff.” In the beginning a lot of items! Each inspection and every AP taught me more and more about my aircraft and how to work on it. Their reviews have been worth a fortune in maintenance, education and safety.

Now days I do a lot of my own work with the annual condition inspection validating those efforts. It’s my fervent belief that you can’t have too many experienced eyes looking at your aircraft.

I hire an A&P/IA too. I remove the interior and floor, bulkhead and all the fairings, wheel pants, and inspection panels. Saves a lot of money, and it was helpful in learning about how the plane is put together, but it was a lot of work. I'm a busy guy and I may just lay that all at his feet this time. A lot of that decision will depend on what the inside hangar temp is at that particular time in April.

Data Point

My Pilot and Repairman certificate numbers are not the same.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. One more week to get an appointment with the FAA. Guess I'll start making calls in the meantime to some mechanics. I live in somewhat of a mechanic desert though.

If all else fails, anyone ever requested a Special Flight Permit? Looks like a DAR can do it. Would bet my DAR would agree to it for a fee. Hopefully this method would be a last resort.

Back