What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Rear Baggage Compartment Fasterners

Onewinglo

Condition Inspection time is nearing and I dread trying to remove the #8 Phillips head screws back in the rear baggage compartment. Someone had posted about a different AN fastener, maybe an allen head? I have not been able to locate the thread where this was suggested.
If you remember the thread or know the hardware that was discussed please reply.
Struggling with those screws in the back is the only part of the inspection I dread.
Thanks!

The plan calls for AN515-8R8 phillip head screws. I use the star fasteners in hard to reach places.

While you have it out, do this mod so you rarely need to take it out going forward.

Carl
F47-ED639-5-CD1-4952-8-A73-096-BDA35-E811.jpg

SS Socket Head Cap Screws........

I just use SS socket head cap screw from my local ACE Hardware.......
Works so good I used them all over my build.....

Tim Harris
Harris ACE Hardware
;)

While you have it out, do this mod so you rarely need to take it out going forward.

What Carl said. The whole deal only comes out once a year, unless I mod something. Mighty handy to have a quick access.
-

Attachments

• Baggage Hatch1.JPG
    Baggage Hatch1.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 366
  • Baggage Hatch2.JPG
    Baggage Hatch2.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 400
what Carl and what Dan said.......

i copied the idea. works great.

Attachments

• neu (24).jpg
    neu (24).jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 363
  • neu (25).jpg
    neu (25).jpg
    307 KB · Views: 347
  • neu (26).jpg
    neu (26).jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 340
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Lots of good options. I love the modifications to the baggage shelf.
I'm feeling better about this inspection and going forward.
JP

My Version

Like Carl, Dan and others, I made an access panel here. I decided to make my access on the vertical part, rather than the horizontal. I used Dzus 1/4 turn fasteners rather than piano hinge. Just another way to do it. I have a rear mounted battery and the ATO battery buss fuse block under there. I have self resetting ATO style circuit breakers for critical circuits on this buss.

All my flooring [except under the flap cross bar] is removable.

2-Piece-Rear-Battery-Cover-2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Charlie
PS ELT has since been upgraded to 406 model. Don't mount your ELT on top of this cover. It's to flimsy. You will be accidentally setting it off much more often if placed there.

Last edited:
Rear Baggage

There are tasks that I find unpleasant during maintenance, but removing and installing the rear baggage compartment just doesn't move the needle in that department for me.

There are a couple of things that I find tremendously helpful, however:

1. I use a good cordless driver for removing most of the screws.

2. for the tight-spots, I use one of these, which has served me well over the years:

https://www.amazon.com/SpeedHex-FlipOut-Rechargeable-Power-Screwdriver/dp/B00O197IYC

They don't appear to be available anymore.

3. Replace the AN515-8R8 screws with NAS602-8P alloy screws. These are a stronger alloy and much less likely to have the heads strip. These cost 15 cents each from Aircraft Spruce.

4. Be sure to use good quality Philips bits and screw drivers. This makes a big difference in the longevity of the screws.

Skylor

RV-8

p.s. It's the removal of the front floor that I really don't like.

Lkitson- where did you get those latches for your baggage inspection covers?

They're Hartwell latches. I bought used ones but I don't recall where I got them. It might have been Ebay. New ones are pricey.

Attachments

• LKRV8-F1380.jpg
    LKRV8-F1380.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 183
Do all of these cutouts - replaced by DZUS'd or piano hinged panels - compromise structural integrity in any way?

If not I'm going to order a new baggage compartment panel and arrange for this access.

Back