What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding top hat trim to right stick

jask

Well Known Member
I am doing some modifications to the RV-6A I purchased. All of this was wired before the last builder finished it so I'm on my own. I removed the floor panels today and the right stick A mini phone jack was used to connect the push to talk switch and I have to remove the aileron push rod bolt to get the connector up and out. This type of connector was not the best choice because it just connects two wires. What type of connector should I use so I never have to loosen the push rod again?

Second question. The stick grip is fastened to the tube with what looks like
RTV. How can I get that loose or should I just use a new 7/8 tube?

Third question. To add the top hat switch, I will have the 4 wires plus ground. I went over to Palomar to visit with Tosten and get a relay from him. BTW, he is really a nice guy, has a beautiful RV-6 and a wealth of information. Now that I have removed the floor panels, I can see two cables coming from the stick grip. It has a top hat, auto pilot switch and push to talk switch. I can see the wires going under the fixed rear panel and into devices labeled roll and pitch. I took photos of everything so it would help if anyone can tell me what I have. I have receipts for Ray Allen trim system so those may be his. Can I just hook the second top hat into those or do I need to use the new relay I just purchased.

Thanks for any help.

What you don’t want is to have the copilot stick trim inputs fight your pilot stick trim inputs (or any other button inputs for that matter).

When I upgraded from manual trim to electric trim on my RV7A several years ago I installed the Tosten military six button style grips on both sticks and installed the Pat Hatch UTRB (Ultimate Trim Control Board) just under the copilot’s seat. All my switches are ground to activate functional except for my flap control switch which required the Tosten guy to add and additional wire for that switch function.

The connections the UTRB controller uses are 25 pin dsub pin connectors (two - one male/one female). I purchased my wiring, pins, crimping tools and connectors from SteinAir. I also used several molex connectors and pins that grouped some inputs together so I wouldn’t have to redo the dsub pin connectors (ie the ability to remove the copilot stick if desired).

I highly recommend contacting Pat Hatch via email and discuss with him your situation and get his advice. His email is [email protected]. Good luck!

PS: Don’t forget to document everything! Memory fades with time and age!

Last edited:
Back