What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaps

dan carley

Well Known Member
I have a Rv6 and having a little trouble landing the plane.
I am using full flaps and it floats on landing. Should I be using
Less flaps?

Thanks
Danny carley
N15vr

If you are "floating" an RV-6, you definitely are carrying too much airspeed!

Approach speed is about 70 mph over the fence if I try slower the plane will start
Sinking very fast

Danny

floaters

Floating on landing is to much speed. Need to go out and get comfortable with slower speeds. Do a bunch of stalls at landing speeds etc. OH ya don't be afraid of adding power if sinking to much.
Come in over the fence at 70 knots or mph and you are fast enough. It stalls at 50-55 mph so speed is the floaters friend.
I have an RV-6A and understand the situation
Enjoy the ride Art

I tried a lot of speeds I’m asking about full
Flaps or less
Danny

I had 3 notches of flap on my -6. 13°, 26°, and 38°. I found that the first 2 notches produced a reduction in stall speed. The 3rd notch increased drag but did not further reduce stall speed. Unless you are landing on a short field, you shouldn't need full flaps.

I typically cross the threshold of my 1500' strip, with full flaps, at or below 60 knots. This is with just a smidgen of throttle, chopping power as I flare.

If you have a metal fp prop, make sure your idle speed is set as low as possible. Mine is set at under 500. An idle speed of 600 or more will produce enough thrust to make you float if you arrive too flat and fast.

I arrive on close final high and 70mph (elevator for speed, throttle for altitude control) bleeding down to the LOW 60's as I burn off the remaining speed with a deep flare (full flaps) the throttle is at full idle at touchdown. It is set so low that the engine will stumble if I leave it there below 10mph.

I have a Rv6 and having a little trouble landing the plane.
I am using full flaps and it floats on landing. Should I be using
Less flaps?

Thanks
Danny carley
N15vr

If you are floating with full flaps, you will float MORE with less flaps. Full flaps add some lift but they also add lots of drag. Reducing drag will increase the float.

Yes, lower air-speed increases approach angle (sink rate). Get used to it and learn to fly tighter patterns and steeper approaches. Just be sure to have enough energy to stop the descent and flair properly.

Skylor

What's the flaps down stall speed on your plane? I recall the rule of thumb to be final approach speed is 1.3 times that. So - on mine - flaps down stall is 55 - so final approach speed is 71.5 (mph).

Yes, at first anything under 80 mph - feels like it sinks like a rock. Slow flight practice, seat time, and the confidence builds. Helps a lot that these planes have plenty of power to weight, so an unexpected down draft can be dealt with easily.

If you don't have any stall or AOA indication... put one in. It helps add confidence that you really aren't on the edge... and could save your bacon one day.

I used first or second notch most of the time. Full flaps add drag and help in a short field or rough field. If I use no flaps the 6A lands nicely without floating so much and you can keep the nose wheel off the runway longer, which I really want to do.

Regarding the sink rate at low airspeed on final, it will happen. You will have to add power to decrease your sink rate near the threshold and then listen to the jurors watching your landing pontificate about how you need to practice a stabilized approach... Well, you're the pilot and you're not passively along for the ride. Do what you need to do. You may be able to lower the nose a bit to pick up speed and decrease the sink rate without adding power if you have enough altitude, then nicely flare to land.

Also new to RV-6A

Good Morning,

I have a new to me RV-6A that I have put almost 5.0 on and about 30 landings and takeoffs. I'm 70mph over the fence, full flap, still about 500fpm decent. On roundout I add just a touch of power to avoid the sink.

Sticks like glue.
Curt

Back