What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Orientation of Form Fitting Stick Grips

Drum

Hi - Is there consensus about the orientation of stick grips which fit to the hand - I was thinking Infinity grips, but others as well. I’m right handed and was thinking about rotating mine 20 or 30 degrees counterclockwise so my wrist is straight when controls are neutral.

Thanks!

Yup - its YOUR airplane, so sit in the cockpit with the stick grip in place, but able to rotate. Put your hand on the grip in the most comfortable position, and see where the grip ends up. Mark and drill…..

Yes, I think your wrist should be straight when the controls are neutral. 20+ years in USAF fighters are behind this opinion.
Try holding the stick grip by itself while seated in the airplane. Close your eyes and move your hand and grip to where you think a neutral stick position will be.
This should be the correct orientation for you rather than a set number of degrees.
Check out the F-15 stick pictured on this website:
https://www.driven-technologies.com/simulated-flat-panel-displays/simulated-military-displays/f-15-enhanced-engine-monitor-display-eemd.html

yep...

On my -10, the grips are rotated inboard. I set mine to have a straight wrist at the control stick center...

Stick grip orientation

You may also want to consider putting a bend in the stick in order to move the grip closer to your body. You will want your hand to fall comfortably onto the grip with your arm resting on your leg, without leaning forward in the seat. In this position you will be able to control the plane using only slight wrist movements. This is necessary when operating under G loads.......... while escaping bandits or doing acro.
Like Paul said "it's your plane" make it fit like a glove, and every single flight will be a true joy. :)

Hi - Is there consensus about the orientation of stick grips which fit to the hand - I was thinking Infinity grips, but others as well. I’m right handed and was thinking about rotating mine 20 or 30 degrees counterclockwise so my wrist is straight when controls are neutral.

Thanks!

Right handed or left handed doesn’t matter in the -8… the throttle is in the left, and the stick in the right.

Grip Type

Finger and thumb.........

Only need a fingertip grip :D

This is precisely why I prefer this type of grip:

G205.GIF

It doesn’t matter which hand you fly with and the orientation isn’t critical. It’s always comfortable. It seems that many folks are attracted to complex stick shapes but my personal opinion is that simple is better.

Skylor

G205.GIF

It doesn’t matter which hand you fly with and the orientation isn’t critical. It’s always comfortable. It seems that many folks are attracted to complex stick shapes but my personal opinion is that simple is better.

Skylor

Even with this grip you may want to clock it. I've got one on my new -6 and plan to reclock it because the PTT and trim switches are awkward for my left hand. Worst case is I drill a new hole, don't like it and set it back.

In Hand

Definitely get it in your hand. I think Infinity is a fine product, but it was too small for my hands.

BTW - one advantage of the Torsten grips is that the rotation angle is fixed by a set screw - so you can change it whenever you want (or if you dont like it).

I've been working on installing my Infinity grips. It actually takes more work than you would expect to get this all put together. Some of that is my fault I'm sure but I'm getting close now.

I put the grip on the end of the stick, sat in the plane with pillows to try to simulate my seating position as much as I could. Then I rotated the grip to the position that felt good to me. I'm not sure of the exact angle of rotation, but both grips are rotated in-board. The way the grip mounts to the stick means you need to estimate the position before you do the final mounting. You also need to determine the stick length at the same time, but that is another topic. I marked the stick in the rear of the grip where the two halves of the grip join together. You need to transfer this measurement so that you can drill the stick mounting hole 90 degrees to your reference mark. I used a drafting circle template which has 90 degree marks for this.

I think the infinity stick will be great. I made some decisions that created some work. I ended up rewiring quite a bit of the stick. I combined grounds and I allowed for having a start button if I decide to have that on the stick. Right now I'm leaning to no, but I don't want to have to back into the stick. I also decided that I wanted to use a high density D connector for my stick connector. This means you need to use #22 wire and some of the wiring on the stick comes as #20. A 15 pin connector is plenty so its not too big. I think it will work well. The last mod I made was I made a doubler for the cable exit hole which I had welded on.

I just painted my sticks today to match my interior so I'm ready to start the final assembly process. It's been some work but, I think I'll be happy with them now.

Good Idea

G205.GIF

Skylor

You Know this is a very good idea. I have a nice grip for me (the pilot), but I am thinking of changing my co pilot's (passenger's) to this style for the exact reason mentioned; can be flown either left or right handed. Really good idea. Another year of dues paid for in brilliant ideas.

Back