What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aeroquip Socketless for Brakelines?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hey guys,

I wanted to replace the nylon with some more solid hoses and wanted to see:

1) AN size for brake lines? -4?
2) Has anyone used socketless for a brake application?

I have used the -6AN socketless for fuel and love them but wanted see if socketless would be acceptable for brakes.

Thanks,
D

No experience with Aeroquip Socketless but I did use Earl's system for my braided brake lines. Still on the bench, but it was an easy system to work with once you get it figured out.

The catalogue page for the socketless hose/fittings says the operating pressure for all sizes is 250 psi. That seems low to me for a brake system. I believe the plastic hose that ships with the kits is rated at 300 psi? Someone should confirm that number though because I don't have the plastic hose in front of me.

I think Tom at TSFlightlines will make you SS braided lines with #3 line and #4 fittings.

I would really hate to hear that someone used a pushlock hose for brakes.
It would be bad to have a hose blow off the fitting stem at an inopportune moment and possibly destroy an aircraft and injure the occupants.
If you want to make your own, Yes Earls, Russell, Aeroquip have the reusable hose ends and bulk teflon hose to do it yourself. Many do just that.

OR---we can help you.
Tom

I second that

I will second Tom from TS Flightlines
This is a holy ^^@^&% moment. Brakes are somewhat important. Please do not try to save money and go cheap.
If you've ever experienced no brakes you would understand.
Never lost brakes in an airplane, But, have in cars and trucks. EG. Rolling down the road with a dozer on the back at 45,000 lbs. and no brakes and traffic stopped in front of me. Wow, real lucky there was a field to put in in.
Believe me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is a holly@%^@&^ moment in your life.
Build a brake system that won't fail.
My three cents worth Art

There I was..

going down I-5 by Castaic Lake into Los Angeles, overloaded box truck full of bicycle parts. Over truck speed limit by 5 mph. No brakes. luckily the truckers saw what was happening and cleared the lane ahead as I passed by, terrified.
True story, every single word. Never tempt fate with bad brakes.

I would really hate to hear that someone used a pushlock hose for brakes.
It would be bad to have a hose blow off the fitting stem at an inopportune moment and possibly destroy an aircraft and injure the occupants.
If you want to make your own, Yes Earls, Russell, Aeroquip have the reusable hose ends and bulk teflon hose to do it yourself. Many do just that.

OR---we can help you.
Tom

+1

I would be pretty surprised if our braking systems didn't exceed 250 PSI under heavy braking. I can easily exert more than 250 lbs of force with my legs. The standard earls AN fittings are rated WAY HIGHER than this. PLEASE do not use this type of fitting for brakes.

Last edited:
Matco Master cylinders

+1

I would be pretty surprised if our braking systems didn't exceed 250 PSI under heavy braking. I can easily exert more than 250 lbs of force with my legs. The standard earls AN fittings are rated WAY HIGHER than this. PLEASE do not use this type of fitting for brakes.

The stated normal operation pressure for the Matco master cylinders our brakes use is 400-600 psi and they're tested to a max of 1200 psi.

Skylor

TS Flightlines and be done

After years of leak chasing and a brake failure leaving OSH a couple years ago I switched out all my nylon for a set of braided #3 with #4 fittings from Tom S. As an A&P in the aviation industry, I could have fabbed my own, but Tom makes a great product with superior materials, pressure tested and ready to go. By the time I got my plane all opened up and the nylon removed my new lines arrived in the mail and the rest is history. Brakes are no place for experimenting with unknown values and if you ever have a failure it seldom ends well..I got lucky.

Which nylon hoses? There's a low pressure side and a high pressure side. The nylon hose is just fine for the low pressure side. Older RV-4 plans called for the nylaflow hoses on the high pressure side too, but that guidance changed a long time ago.

Maybe I misunderstood--

Mr. DMats post. He was talking about 'socketless' fittings which are essentially raised barbed stems for rubber. Push it on and under low pressures, its fine. Depending of course on the fluid its moving. NylaFlo and brass compression fittings are not socketless. They are compression, and will stand a higher pressure. Many light aircraft use them. Its cheap, easy to use, and lightweight.

At the same time, they can be problematic if not assemblied correctly, or if at the calipers, a long braking period can get the tube hot, and well, and bad day is starting.

Socketless, barbed fittings should not be used in a brake system. Another reason is the tubing is stiffer than rubber, so it doesnt seal around the barb, and can rotate. Air leaks, and fluid leaks are the end result.

If you want to make your own braided teflon assemblies, use a good, well known hose, and hose ends designed for the hose. Some companies have pre-made assemblies in standard lengths, but you'll probably find that they are either too long or too short for what you are doing. Buy a BUNCH of hose, and a BUNCH of hose ends of various angles, make a plan and go for it.

Or---give us a call. Steve and I have plumb ALOT of different planes, and can build custom creations to fit your needs. ( not an infomercial, just the facts). Either way, we're here to help.

Tom and Steve

Back