What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT PROPELLER GREASE SPLATTER

flybywire

I have a RV-7 with a LYC IO-360 and a triple blade MT propeller (white with red tips). About 7 hours ago I noticed grease splatter on my cowling and wind screen. The leak as far as I know is coming from ONE BLADE at the hub back side of prop. The prop has 220 TT. My plane was built in 2016 and the propeller was purchased new at the time of the build. Any suggestions out there with MT operators?

Thanks!
Scott Dweck
RV-7
Santa Barbara, CA

How much grease is it spitting. A little is fine and they even have a tech instruction on how far up the blade it can go. All my props have or do spit some grease when it’s hot.

1st easy thing:

I have a RV-7 with a LYC IO-360 and a triple blade MT propeller (white with red tips). About 7 hours ago I noticed grease splatter on my cowling and wind screen. The leak as far as I know is coming from ONE BLADE at the hub back side of prop. The prop has 220 TT. My plane was built in 2016 and the propeller was purchased new at the time of the build. Any suggestions out there with MT operators?

Thanks!
Scott Dweck
RV-7
Santa Barbara, CA

You can check to see if one of the grease zerks is loose or has no ball in it. Just put a new zerk in it if that is the problem. If the blade shank is spitting out grease, you will need a new seal. There are several MT repair shops in your state. Good luck!

Not all MT props have grease nipples(Zerks) The only MT props I am familiar with do not have any. The bearings are greased at assembly time and then sealed with the o ring on the ferrule. They remain that way until next OH or inspection.

After a reseal or OH it is normal for a few initial hours to have a small grease leak. NORMALLY IT SHOWS UP ON THE INSIDE OF THE SPINNER right beside the blade ferules, before it progresses out along the blade roots. Check with MT Prop to see what is normal. There is a 6 year OH on most MT props. Yours is close if new in 2016.

May want to ask MT what grease is in yours. At 150 hours, my hartzell still throws oil (not grease). It now seems to do it only in the summer. Apparently aeroshell reformulated the 6 without telling anyone and the oil separates from the clays and other solids much too soon, especially when hot. They have since changed brands, but say it has been a real pain dealing with the complaints and nothing can really be done about is short of a tear down and repacking with better grease.

Larry

Last edited:
After researching my propeller which only has 220 hours on it, I determined it sat on the shelf for three years before it was installed. Santa Monica propeller overhauled my seals and everything is perfect now. Moral of the story: don’t let your propeller sit on a shelf before you install it.

Back