What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar must haves

dreed

Well Known Member
So, now that I have a hangar and the plane is getting closer (but in a different hangar) I am wondering what you all think the must haves are. I was out there today just pacing around it waiting for the day it has the trusty steed in it.

I am thinking:

Cabinets for supplies
Tools/tool chest
Tables for workspace
chairs for hangar flying
Small desk so I can go work there when I get tired of my home office
Small fridge- for soda/water/beer
Shop vac
drop light
Some sort of stereo
Carpet and creeper for belly cleaning

I know I am missing a ton- let me have it .

Small air compressor
hydraulic jack
extension cords
chocks
flyswatter/mouse traps/bug killer spray
fans
broom, brush and dust pan
trash can
drip pans
a dry erase/cork board to make notes on
American flag
some cool artwork-say, maybe a calendar with attractive Hawaiian girls on it (Thanks Bruce!)

Have fun!

Last edited:
A spare car in case somebody stops by and you are not there :D

A proper selection of adult beverages in that small fridge :)

Maybe It?s just me but I have a leaf blower in my hangar. Have had one in my hangars for many years. I blow my hangar out before I leave every time. Hate to come to a hangar with a dirty floor.

Lights lights lights.

LEDs are so cheap now you can have lots of light easily. There are some great LED worklights to supplement overhead lights, too.

And a beer fridge, for sure.

Re blower

Good one! We have a blower too
Did someone mention the Weedeater already?
Also need a rodent control plan e.g. trap(s) and in our case a .410 plan for the occasional rabid woodlands visitor that should not be out during the day.

Thanks all! Some great additions and must haves for sure!

The hangar has a few overhead lights and I am not sure if adding more is acceptable but I'll see what I can do. only 2 outlets in the hangar- I think 4 plugs each, but I'll take a look.

• A couple 9Kg DCP fire extinguishers
  • First aid kit
  • FM Radio / Bluetooth / Spotify
  • VHF Airband radio / Scanner on CTAF

Fridge...and..

Refrigerator (well stocked) and a humidor are at the top of my list, a golf cart if you are allowed to have one is also essential. Once these items are in place, Tools and cleaning supplies as needed...and your done. At our airport, most everyone has these basics, and if your as lucky as I am, you have a wife or spousal unit that enjoys it as much as I do...she even keeps the fridge stocked:D

A rolling seat so you don?t have to squat or sit on the floor.
Air conditioning, if you can get it.
Folding table(s) for additional work space
A couple folding chairs for guests
Bluetooth speaker
A spare change of old clothes in case you really make a mess
First aid kit
Bug zapper
Some sort of fan (box or pedestal) if you don?t have A/C
Extension cords
Old vacuum/shop vac
Box of nitrile gloves (Sam?s has the best deal going)
Cat litter for oil spills
Beer

microwave, coffee maker, electric frying pan from goodwill. working in the cold, warm tools and hardware are way better from the frying pan. but i probably get a lot colder here than you will ever see.

A camping toilet! :eek: That's right, I said it. Too many distractions walking to the FBO to relieve one's self. The next thing you know, you're in some other hangar and not working on your build.

Hangar

Ditto on the biggest American flag you can find and hang it on the back wall. Yard blowers as stated makes hangar dust cleanup easy. Might consider hanging a retractable hose reel on the ceiling for the air compressor and the same for an electrical extension cord. Readily available at home stores, Ace Hardware, Harbor Freight etc.

A camping toilet! :eek: That's right, I said it. Too many distractions walking to the FBO to relieve one's self. The next thing you know, you're in some other hangar and not working on your build.

you read my mind, the last thing you do before flight. :D
IMG-3101.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Giant fan!

Maybe it doesn't impact you so much in Washington, but in Georgia you gotta have one of those giant fans on wheels when you start maintenance work in July or August or Sept.

A friend has this little half or 3rd sized replica of a harley chopper, electric powered, at his hangar (Newton KS). He uses it to get to the FBO for coffee and bathroom access or whatever.

The only problem is that the steering geometry is wrong so if you let go of the handle bars the front wheel goes hard over to one side. He found out the hard way when he was riding with back with coffee and had to switch hands to access the brakes. He let go for a second and the bike decided to make an instant 90 deg turn at speed. The bike turned, he did not. But he was only 3" off the ground. He limped away. Pretty sure the coffee was lost.

None of us were surprised - we call this guy "9 lives". Not his worst crash by far. The other Newton guys will instantly know the guilty party.

Sorry for the OT post.

Curious which Newton? MA? Got a couple buddies from there and have run through it several times on Patriots day

A little bit of advertising of a great product or website doesn’t hurt either ..

mcuec1.jpg

Last edited:
My workbench is noticeably absent .... Im very fortunate with the hangar. I love the space to spread out and have several work areas.

No brooms/blowers

I'm constantly taking a ribbing from my hangar buddies about being anal...but recommend that you use NO brooms or leaf blowers..don't even keep one in the hangar as not to be tempted...use vacuum. I have a Rigid shop vac mounted to a post/wall in the hangar, long end, and enough hose to reach every area. I constantly vacuum the hangar floor, as to me, it is a safety of flight issue. It is much easier to see a fallen bolt, washer, piece of safety wire,etc on a perfectly clean floor......brooms and blowers simply blow the dirt around onto your airplane, tools, desk, etc......Get rid of the dirt...don't just relocate it.....There is nothing holy about a cluttered, dirty hangar. Just my 0.02, YMMV.

The first thing we bought for ours was a kegerator. Gotta have something to do when the day?s work or flying is done, or to entice the neighbors over to help!

Cot for naps

Fridge for cold drinks (a luxury I originally didn't think I'd care about)

Moving blankets from Harbor Freight. Good to put your cowling on, to kneel on, to lay on, and to sleep under.

Extra lights ( I use the aluminum 8 or 10 inch ones from HD that have a clamp attached to them). I have 4 clamped to the hangar "beam" at that electrical outlet on the back wall and three on the side wall "beam" where my other outlet is. I would add 4 more to the other side wall but I don't have the luxury of a third outlet.

Summer and winter

A California Car Duster is great for wiping off dust in the summer and a commercial grade dehumidifier keeps it dry in the winter. I also keep a few small portable electronics dryers from West Marine plugged in in the cockpit, which circulate warm dry air inside the aircraft.

+1 for the moving blankets, I got mine at Uhaul. Perfect for setting panels and cowls on when working on the plane. I have a ton of them. Saw horses (Burro Brand from Lowe’s) are super handy as well.

Gas cans are nice to have for when you find out you have to drain the fuel system to replace a hose or fitting.

A large laminated sectional map of the US, or half the US or geographic area wherever you usually fly with a graduated string in SM or NM pinned to your home airport is nice for flight planning and hangar flying.

Last edited:
Gas cans are nice to have for when you find out you have to drain the fuel system to replace a hose or fitting.

Retired gas cans are also useful for oil changes. I run a hose from the quick-drain on my sump to a gas can, which makes it easy to lug the used oil to the "oil recycling" drop-off location.

Good Lighting

+1 on previous posts including the camp porta-potty.

It's frustrating to not have good lighting.

IMG_1205.JPG

Back