What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One week wonder - who is volunteering?

Greenley

Well Known Member
Just got the email that I am scheduled to help with the OWW Tuesday morning. Just curious who else is helping during the week.

Moving RV10 to airport tomorrow to hang wings :)

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-communities-and-interests/homebuilt-aircraft-and-homebuilt-aircraft-kits/2018-oww-vans-rv-12is

EAA, all of us volunteers, and the general public are building an RV-12iS in a single week, as a showcase of homebuilding. It's going to be located right in the center of the show next to Boeing Plaza, if the previous efforts were any indication. I was part of the last one a few years back, where we built some Zenith parts that got distributed to EAA chapters to start up flying clubs (IIRC?). It really was a lot of fun, repeatedly explaining homebuilding to the public who'd come up and pull a rivet or two, *especially* the kids... and oddly more so the older teens / college kids too.

Friday AM here. I was kinda surprised I only got one shift assignment, I put in with the willingness to work several weekdays.

I'll also probably be helping with setup on Sunday, provided there are no wx delays with me flying up there.

I'm in!

And covering the project for KITPLANES. I have Monday through Thursday afternoon scheduled as well as Wednesday and Thursday morning. I'll probably help on the weekend. I hope everyone at least comes by and pulls a rivet!

I was told they had a lot of volunteers, which is why most people did not get as many shifts as they volunteered for. I volunteered for three shifts and was given one. So, I am guessing they are done accepting volunteers.

As can be imagined by anyone who has any experience building an RV, building even an RV-12 in 6.5 days is a major effort which requires a lot of advanced planning, etc.

Because of this, registration of volunteers had to be cut off at some point (May 15th actually).

There was a lot of people who volunteered.

The conservative part of me wanted to choose only experienced builders that were willing to work numerous times through the week, to help improve continuity and assure success, but the purpose of this project is to demonstrate that completion of an airplane build project is attainable by the average person as long as they have a proper perspective.

Given that, a lot of effort was put into developing a schedule that gave everyone that volunteered, the opportunity to work at least one work session within their preferred time schedule.

This may add some additional challenge to the project but I feel sure we will succeed, and in doing so, it will further demonstrate that average people can do this.

Thanks to all who have volunteered, and thank you to all who have donated to the effort in other ways.

If you attend Airventure 2018, be sure to swing by the shop tent occasionally to cheer on the build team.

See you there......

Scott,

The EAA's recent communications blast soliciting volunteers for the build caught me by surprise. Or are they recruiting for other roles that you aren't managing?

bob

The more official Scott can answer, but from this Scott :)D), I'm betting that the EAA blast is for volunteers who will talk with the public, get them to pull a rivet somewhere on something and sign the logbook, etc. But the build team that Scott put together, from us, is the core group that will be doing the majority of heavy building.

As a comparison, back in the last One Week Wonder, I volunteered through EAA, and was helping the public pull rivets. But the members from the EAA chapters that were getting the wings, tail, etc from those 3 kits that were being built are the ones who were in the center of the tent doing the major build.

Yes, there are other aspects not being organized and managed by me (as Scott mentioned) that EAA is soliciting volunteer help for.

Back