What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fitting the cowl???

danny

Well Known Member
Just wondering: is it ok to feel like a preschooler attacking a finger painting job when trying to fit the engine cowl?
I'm thinking of lowering my bar from "slightly above average" to "don't let anything rub and keep the gaps small enough so birds and small rodents can't get through".
I picked a bad year to quit drinking!
danny:confused:

OMG that was funny

I feel the same way. I have spent a ton of time on my 8 cowl. I recently decided - DONE - as is.

Dave
Woodbridge, VA

After spending 2-3 monthes part time on building cowl for Suby powered RV4 , I finally said enough is enough...as we used to say in auto business "its a 50 footer" ...wil never win any prize, but wont fall off or blow away !!!!! Tom

The cowl is the hardest part of the project. Besides the windscreen. And the canopy. And firewall forward. And the tail fairing. Or the wing tips. The wheel pants were not a lot of fun.

Yeah....head down, push forward. :)

The cowl is the hardest part of the project.

Actually the cowl is my last "big" project and it's all about putting the plane together after that.
Btw, I work for little airplane manufacturer up here in the NW and when we inspect paint it's the "10 foot at 90 degrees" rule. I might switch mine over to 50'.....guess we'll see.
Thanks all for the encouragement

The cowl is the hardest part of the project. Besides the windscreen. And the canopy. And firewall forward. And the tail fairing. Or the wing tips. The wheel pants were not a lot of fun.

No, wait....the baffles, no, wait, the custom plenum and deffusers.....No, wait.........;-)

I beg to

Disagree,,,,

I think the cowl is the easiest part. Look through the fiberglass section and find my post. I use an engine block to simulate the engine
Makes it easy. I fit the lower cowl first!

The cowl is the hardest part of the project.

No, wait....the baffles, no, wait, the custom plenum and deffusers.....No, wait.........;-)
I was moving along ok this morning....even had a minor epiphany! I angled the skybolt receiver mounting plate thingy inbd about 6 degrees and it was a big step. I think it will be ok from here on out.........oh, wait: did someone mention plenum/baffles?
It does keep me off the street at night.
danny:eek:

I have 55 hours so far into these diffuser things, construction from scratch, fiberglass sanding and glassing and sanding and sanding. I though I was done sanding after the paint thing but sheesh.......

The most important part of this post for me was your signature...
RV-8 Flying
That's what I really needed to read...

Back