What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's flap position sensor

RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I see Van's has a new flap position sensor for the -14, and states that it can be adapted to other models. No picture or other info, though.

Anyone have any info on this? I'd like to have one on my -7, and considered the RA sensor, but just haven't messed with it. Coming up on annual, and now would be a good time to put one in *if* it's simple to install.

TIA!

Clearly Van's has a microphone in my hangar and was listening to me curse as I just finished making my own position sensor a few days ago.

Is it the Ray Allen sensor? They've been around a while. I plan to install one soon (not yet flying).

RV8 flap sensor

When I built my -8, I spent a lot of time figuring out how to design and mount a flap sensor mechanism. I used the Ray Allen sensor and some RC mounting hardware. It works fine after 10 years. But after all that work, I flew the airplane and realized it's easier to look over your shoulder and visually check the position. I've yet to ever reference the flap indicator on my panel. So give it some thought as to whether it's worth the effort. (The RV-14 might have a different sight line, but I doubt it's that much different.)

Chris

When I built my -8, I spent a lot of time figuring out how to design and mount a flap sensor mechanism. I used the Ray Allen sensor and some RC mounting hardware. It works fine after 10 years. But after all that work, I flew the airplane and realized it's easier to look over your shoulder and visually check the position. I've yet to ever reference the flap indicator on my panel. So give it some thought as to whether it's worth the effort. (The RV-14 might have a different sight line, but I doubt it's that much different.)

Chris

I think looking at the flaps is pretty easy too but the Vertical Power system has some pretty cool functions if you provide it with a position sensor input. I've ordered the Vans RV-14 kit and am going to install it on my -4 in a few weeks. We'll see . . .

This picture tells the story pretty well:

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-16%20at%206.02.18%20PM_zpsf9ceig9x.png

David

Or without the linkage

A magnetic angle sensor/wheatstone bridge and button magnet. 0-5v on mine but adjustable as needed...

1227072050a_zpsjmaw5axb.jpg

Chris

My feelings exactly Chris.
It is so intuitive to be looking around outside and a quick glance at the flap fits right in. I have markers at 10-20-40.

Flap position

I'm interested in a flap position indicator also.
The last biannual I took the instructor was upset because I looked to see were the flaps were. First time he had ever been in a RV. I noticed other RVers check visually also.

I'm interested in a flap position indicator also.
The last biannual I took the instructor was upset because I looked to see were the flaps were. First time he had ever been in a RV. I noticed other RVers check visually also.

What indicator would he prefer versus a visual confirmation? This is ridiculous, that instructor would have been fired on the spot if it had been me. Maybe I'm just too old and cranky and don't put up with stupidity though...

Sorry - drifting off topic - visual confirmation is plenty good for me, I haven't found the need for an indicator yet. I can look at the wing just as fast as I can look at the indicator, and the wing is already installed.

Last edited:
The only time the visual indicator (looking out the window) doesn't work so good is at night.

I agree with Walt

The first time I flew at night I looked out the side to see the flaps and couldn't beleive that I could not see the flaps at all. Another reason for flap indicator for me, is that I've hooked it into my dynon. Now my girl yells at me if I over speed or forget the flaps. I like have that.

VP-X Flap Position integration with EFIS

I think looking at the flaps is pretty easy too but the Vertical Power system has some pretty cool functions if you provide it with a position sensor input. I've ordered the Vans RV-14 kit and am going to install it on my -4 in a few weeks. We'll see . . .

Had to fight with conflicting documentation and two vendors to resolve the issues but I chose the VP-X Flap Positioning (control) but integrated with the Sky View EFIS for position display using a screen widget.

Once solved any solution is a good one. The VP-X/EFIS installation was quite uncomplicated (in hindsight). Nothing in a flap positioning system precludes painting 'witness marks' on the flaps and visually confirming the action (in daylight). Whether using Ray Allen POS-12, Colin's string potentiometer recommendation, or the button magnet, the objective is the same, to consistently move the flaps to a known position for aeronautical benefit. The rest is icing on the cake.

Back