What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Builder Advice

GrinchF16

Well Known Member
Beginning to put the 7A back together after tearing it apart for panel upgrade. Two quick (maybe) topics:

1) Replaced the fuel transducer with a Red Cube. Transducer was located on the floor in the tunnel between the rudder pedals. The Red Cube inlet/outlet sit higher than the old transducer. We were able to lift the fuel lines a half inch or so off of the floor to make the connection. Is that OK? Is there a gravity issue or any fuel flow issue we are missing? Also, this modification raised the fuel filter, also in that tunnel, enough that the tunnel cover no longer sits down. Planning on refab’ing a new cover that will sit a little higher. I know this will impact the carpet a bit, anything else I should be aware of?

2) When we removed the canopy, it seemed that the builder had a bunch of washers taped (with 15 year old paper tape) to the frame the canopy rests on. They went everywhere when we took the canopy off. Are they shims of some sort? If so, any guidance on that process?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Would recommend to remake the fuel lines for a better fit. Order some new tubing...with enough extra for practice and with a flare tool, they are fairly easy to make with some practice. You dont want the fuel lines resting on the floor, nor a good idea to have the fuel filter hitting the top of the tunnel due to transmitting extra vibration to them. I have some fire resistant foam in a few spots to support the fuel lines off the floor in the tunnel.

The canopy had washers as a custom made spacer....every plane would be slightly different. Just partly re assemble with no washers and see where any gaps are and remake spacers as needed.

Red Cube location

I'm not at that point in my RV-7A build but have been reading and asking questions about engine related sensors. I've been hearing the red cube should be mounted in the engine compartment. I just found this on the EI website:

https://www.iflyei.com/wp-content/uploads/FT-60-Info-Rev-F.pdf
Excerpt:
If the aircraft has a fuel pump(s), the flow transducer MUST be installed downstream of the last fuel pump.
Installing the transducer upstream of the fuel pump(s) can cause vapor lock and jumpy/inaccurate readings.

$*#&@

I'm not at that point in my RV-7A build but have been reading and asking questions about engine related sensors. I've been hearing the red cube should be mounted in the engine compartment. I just found this on the EI website:

https://www.iflyei.com/wp-content/uploads/FT-60-Info-Rev-F.pdf
Excerpt:
If the aircraft has a fuel pump(s), the flow transducer MUST be installed downstream of the last fuel pump.
Installing the transducer upstream of the fuel pump(s) can cause vapor lock and jumpy/inaccurate readings.

Great catch, that is going to leave a mark….

Back