What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT Propeller model with BPA 290hp engine?

rdamazio

Well Known Member
For those using the 290hp IO-540 (cold air induction, higher-compression pistons, etc.) and using an MT propeller, what prop model are you using?

I've seen the MTV-9-B/198-52 or MTV-9-B-C/C198-52 (with counterweights) suggested, but information is scarce.

This is what I have. It was suggested by Peter Marshall at MT USA (Florida) after having a discussion with him on the topic. (Not flying yet)

MTV-9-B/198-52

What I Have

In my Rocket I have an IO-540C4-B5, that dynoed @ 288 HP, but none of the fancy stuff like yours.

I installed an MTV-9-B/198-52, at the suggestion of the factory in Germany, back in 2002. 20 years later - still there.

HFS

...and

Another data point: I am running the Barrett, dyno around 290, prop is MTV-9-B/200-52

Works great. Hartzell governor is rock solid.

Thanks all!

FWIW, I also checked with Vans, and they said "Engineering have approved the prop you mentioned for our RV-10" (referring to the MTV-9-B/198-52) - doesn't mean that they recommend it, of course, just that they don't think it'll cause the plane to disintegrate in a horrible fireball :)

Back