What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

alternator

vgb

Well Known Member
The alternator came from Van's in the fire wall kit and the other day it started charging 17 volts. Has anyone had alternator charge this high. Odyessy battery. I had the battery on a Odyessy charger the day before to make sure it was fully charged.

Easy Fix

The alternator came from Van's in the fire wall kit and the other day it started charging 17 volts. Has anyone had alternator charge this high. Odyessy battery. I had the battery on a Odyessy charger the day before to make sure it was fully charged.

You need a new voltage regulator. I'm unfamiliar with that alternator. If it has an internal voltage regulator, it's very easy to replace. You do not need to totally disassemble the alternator to replace it. With either a photo or part number I can give you more info.

Going out today to pull cowl off and check all connections and see if I can post a pick and get a model number.

Automotive ND, now Denso.

That looks like the old original (haha not helpful) Vans Nippon Denso automotive alternator. Either get it rebuilt or trade for one of the same model at the auto parts store with lifetime warranty.

The industry classifies OEM alternator configurations with a "Lester number" to establish a common number that will physically fit and generally has the same specifications.

I "think" it is the 14684 Lester number, just search for "14684 alternator" to see photos to compare to what you have. If you want the best, then look at B&C LX60, but it would require some rewiring for the external (in the cabin) VR. Call them and see if there is an EAA special for SnF in a few weeks.

Last edited:
I would get the alternator bench checked; there may be nothing wrong with it.
A poor ground can trick the VR into bumping the voltage up, because the VR is seeing less than the true voltage. Some people have ran an extra ground to the alternator from the central ground point (usually on the firewall). There should also be a grounding strap from the central grounding point to the engine itself.

I would get the alternator bench checked; there may be nothing wrong with it.
A poor ground can trick the VR into bumping the voltage up, because the VR is seeing less than the true voltage. Some people have ran an extra ground to the alternator from the central ground point (usually on the firewall). There should also be a grounding strap from the central grounding point to the engine itself.
Remember this is an internal regulator with internal sensing. The ground point and B+ point is within so this would not apply for this automotive unit.

Your point is applicable to any field switchable alternator like Plane Power or B&C.

Remember this is an internal regulator with internal sensing. The ground point and B+ point is within so this would not apply for this automotive unit.

Your point is applicable to any field switchable alternator like Plane Power or B&C.

@BillL

Assuming it's case ground; pretty much has to be. Would it make sense to test the case to common resistance?

Alternator

REMY 94623 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Remy Gold Info
55 Amps brand new, $95.00, Rock Auto, replacement for Nippon Denso.

Not for this Denso.

@BillL

Assuming it's case ground; pretty much has to be. Would it make sense to test the case to common resistance?

The internal regulators on the Denso are regulated by the ground side, internally. To make it externally powered field, it is still internal grounded which causes the over voltage issues with that external loop.

I suppose that the regulator could be loose or corroded inside as one of the regulator screws creates the contact, but no external ground would be the cause.

To your point, not a bad thing to check though.

Back