What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Custom Spray Cans Touch Up - Acrylic Enamel vs. Urethane

bill.hutchison

Well Known Member
There's a few spots on my RV where I'd like to touch up a bit since it's almost 20 years old.

Seems there are a few places who can color match (I have the correct paint codes) Sherwin Williams colors, but the paint they put in the can is an acrylic enamel. I don't have a painting rig or, really, the know-how for it, which is why I'm considering the custom-rattle-can-route.

My RV is painted with a urethane paint.

Can this acrylic go over the urethane with decent adhesion? There would be some basic sanding prep, of course, but I'm not sure if it will stick properly.

BAPS Auto Paint

I see you're in NoVA. BAPS auto paint will cram any type of paint you want into a spray can. There's one in Woodbridge and I think - Fairfax or Arlington.
Dave
Woodbridge, VA

Imron touch up

I have Imron paint. Any recommendations on touch up ?

The make real 2 part imron touch up paint for aviation.
The is a spray can version that you brake the catalyst inside the can.

Is this the way to go ?

Max

I see you're in NoVA. BAPS auto paint will cram any type of paint you want into a spray can. There's one in Woodbridge and I think - Fairfax or Arlington.
Dave
Woodbridge, VA

That's super helpful - thank you.

Do you happen to know the answer to the acrylic vs. urethane question?

I suppose they would.

That's super helpful - thank you.

Do you happen to know the answer to the acrylic vs. urethane question?

I suppose they would.

I do not, sorry.
By the way - If you bring in your own paint, it's a lot cheaper to have them inject it into a can. By A LOT $$$$$$$$$
Dave

Poor results with Acrylic here

Had some Acrylic color matched and injected into rattle cans at NAPA. Used for interior components on an RV-14A.

Even after a year of cure, the finish is soft and can be picked/scarred with a fingernail. Would discourage it's use.

Urethane much tougher. Another plane now 13 years old with Urethane on interior shows no wear.

YMMV

Back