What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lexan expansion

BravoAlphaRomeo

Working right now on installing my rear window into RV14. All going fine so far. My question is this - How does tapping the lexan and roll bar together allow the lexan to expand/contract at all ? Seems like untapped-slightly oversized hole in lexan would allow for this….

What am I missing ?

Old subject. Glazing plastics have a coefficient of thermal expansion much higher than the steel frame, so some oversizing of the fastener holes, or flexible (i.e. adhesive) fastening is desirable.

Tip: Stress cracks begin at surface flaws and sharp edges. Drill a hole in plexiglass and then look close at the hole with a 10x magnifier. It's generally a textbook stress concentration mess.

Chuck a very small fine grit rotary stone in an air tool. Form the tip into a point, then deburr the hole with the stone and look again.

Another approach is dichloromethane (aka methylene chloride) on a Q-tip. Makes a beautiful smooth edge, but don't breathe it!

A fine point and maybe superfluous

There are a few differences between acrylic and polycarbonate (Plexiglass and Lexan) Edge treatments, solvent exposure, and bonding need to be specific to each material.

I believe my -7 canopy is plexiglass, don't know if Lexan is used on other models.

I swapped out my hatch glass on a sailboat once from Plexi to Lexan. Definite advantages/disadvantages to each.

Last edited:
Look ahead in the plans. Later, those tapped threads in the plexi get drilled out. Think I may have even upsized those holes a bit more than called for to allow for expansion/contraction.

Replying to both - I have read about everything the forum has to offer on drilling, cutting and general handling of the lexan and plexiglass. I am using a lot of the tips I picked up with good success.

“so some oversizing of the fastener holes is desirable”

Still back to my original question - why do the Vans plans not incorporate this philosophy ? It makes total sense but its not built that way…

Not trying to make a whopper deal out of it, just trying to learn a thing or two.

Thanks for tip Shawn - Vans it’s basically using the window as a guide for tapping the roll bar so you don’t put the tap in crooked. Holes in the window upsized later and the threads are removed. I think I’m clear now :cool:

Last edited:
Sure you’ve heard of the dreaded broken tap in the roll bar scenario. To try and avoid that, I did some research and seems the use of a two flute tap may help avoid that situation. Pic attached of what I used.
Good luck!

Attachments

• C5039F9E-4B39-42B9-91E3-140BBC2EBD86.jpg
    C5039F9E-4B39-42B9-91E3-140BBC2EBD86.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 67
Back