What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding a center console RV-7

wawrzynskivp

Well Known Member
Hello All,

There are upsides and downsides to adding a center console, for those still building here is what I learned:

Presbyopia being what it is, I wanted big displays. Going with the 12" models meant losing room for a navigator on the standard panel. So it seemed to make sense pushing the navigator down on to a center panel. (BTW I fly from the right)

Pro
-Obviously more room for mounting devices
-For me, a more natural (ergonomic for my arms) position for engine controls
-Opportunity for direct manipulation of parking brake (there are some concerns about losing control to a remoted control valve)
-Easy construction of map case/entry step between seats. (yes, that wooden cover is a step that has seen three years of service)

Con
-Additional time sink for the build
-Ergonomic problem for some leg styles. This is a factor that I didn't really appreciate until it was built. For some sitting in the side-by-side RV with dual sticks, knees must swing in unison for full aileron deflection. With a center panel the inboard knee can get a pinch depending on how you're built and how you sit.
-Doing the upside down monkey in the footwell chasing something behind the panel is considerably more frustrating with the center console in place. It is however removable.
-Weight

Overall, I really like it and would do it again. But there are people who just wouldn't fit right with that console being where it is.

Attachments

• Interior_bare.jpg
    Interior_bare.jpg
    1,009.2 KB · Views: 659
  • Interior_bare1.jpg
    Interior_bare1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 584
Last edited:
Very nice installation! However... you might want to push in the throttle and/or mixture in during boarding to keep a PAX from draping his/her pant leg over one or the other and bending it, really inconvenient at an outlying airport. (Ask me how I know.....)

Regards,

DAr Gary

Vince! Excellent work there! Very impressive indeed. I'm constantly thinking about my panel layout and room for things is always a challenge. I really like the layout, but I might be one of those people who needs that extra leg room, I do love the look though!

Very nice installation! However... you might want to push in the throttle and/or mixture in during boarding to keep a PAX from draping his/her pant leg over one or the other and bending it, really inconvenient at an outlying airport. (Ask me how I know.....)

Regards,

DAr Gary

Thanks, and that's advice I will try to remember.

The only downside I could nitpick about the -7 with TU when I was choosing a kit, was the slightly awkward entry trying not to step on a seat.

Foregoing the gas struts and using those pinned rods gets the canopy closer to vertical and well out of the way. Then that wooden step between the seats allows you to center up on your seat and slide down the seat back. Hard to describe but it really slows down the process of getting into the seat, and gives that first step with the inboard leg somewhere else to go.

Last edited:
Nice job. Would not consider that in a slider though. The access under the panel is marginal at best when stock. Impossible with the center console and a slider.

You have a really good job on the installation, but there are a couple of cons you have have not identified,

- Restricted aileron control throw. Not much you can do about it, your leg will be trapped between the stick and the console. I am removing a smaller console from my 6 for just that reason. I'm not huge - 175lb and 6ft.
- Heavier

I suggest your concern over the park brake is unfounded. I use my park brake about twice a year, no problem with a remote mounted valve, makes the brake pipe runs much more straight forward (and lighter).

BTW I also fly from the right and have a quadrant throttle with push-pull mixture & prop.
Pete

You have a really good job on the installation, but there are a couple of cons you have have not identified,

- Restricted aileron control throw. Not much you can do about it, your leg will be trapped between the stick and the console. I am removing a smaller console from my 6 for just that reason. I'm not huge - 175lb and 6ft.

That's my Con #2, but it's not as bad as it may seem if you do a little more rigging.

I would not operate without the Van's recommended aileron deflection in all four quadrants. Full control authority is a takeoff checklist item and an abort if not achievable. This is probably the most serious consideration of this installation and I did mention this may be a problem for some. If you look closely you'll see the sticks are not parallel in the long/vert plane. To achieve full aileron with normal sized folks I shortened the connecting rod between the sticks and used extended length heim bearings on the aileron push rods. This pushes the top of the sticks outward so full aileron deflection is created without either stick needing to get so close to the middle of the cockpit. Once seated you don't notice the stick is not pure vertical. But if that was a concern then a slight bend or even S-bend in each stick would set them straight. That's a small price to pay for getting a lot more panel available. But yes, there are a few folks out there that will get in the way of full aileron throw, perhaps elevator as well. Don't want to impugn anyone so I'll be vague: There are folks out there flying very regularly who personally have a greater impact on control surface movement than this modification. But, we each must or at least should build to accommodate our body styles.

Sure, weight is added and every bit counts. I added much more weight with the navigator than I did the extra glass, a few more feet of 1/4" tube is probably negligible. Always the case in aviation, add a device and you add more weight than the device itself. Look at the left side of the panel...Air Conditioning. I left the light weight contest in the rear view mirror from the word go. But valid Con, I'll add that so nobody misses it.

Not sure if it can be said that a remoted parking brake valve isn't a concern, it is for some. It certainly was for several folks that expressed just that in concept discussion. I disliked the idea that I might disengage the parking brake valve during operation and feel the cable assembly slip or let go. Where is the valve at that point? Only sure option is go back to the hangar and find out. It's a hypothetical, but one eliminated by direct manipulation.

Last edited:
A few things

Beautiful look but there isn't much room in a 7. The console will serious limit your movement. I'm only 5'8" and I find myself stretching into the passenger area. Then there is maintenance aspect in a confined space.

You've obviously got a lot of flying experience but with those giant screens you're going to feel like you are sitting in the 3rd row at a theater. Serious sensory overload, especially at night. My neighbor has a 10" screen in his 7 and found it too big. I went with the 8.5 screen and the symmetry and displays are perfect.

Good luck.

We build what works for us

with those giant screens you're going to feel like you are sitting in the 3rd row at a theater. Serious sensory overload

We each need to decide what works for us. I have never felt any overload and really appreciate not needing the reading glasses to see the finer detail at a glance.

With Advanced Flight Systems (probably the same for others) I can split my screen for flight display and map (or approach plate, or whatever I need for navigation at that moment) and have engine display on the bottom while the wife looks up some other detail such as checklist items on her display. I am at just about the right size font at that moment, wouldn't want anything smaller. But that is me and my proclivities.

You can go smaller or less info on a big display, doesn't always work the other way around.

Last edited:
Three screens in one

Pic attached

Generic photo not my personal airplane (crazy trim)

Attachments

• Screen3.jpg
    Screen3.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I love it. Nice work. I have a prototype I made from wood that just goes between the seats. Someday I may actually finish it. I think I would feel a bit cramped with the extension of the panel down but would like to try it sometime.

One thing to consider is the exit bar from Anti Splat. It is by far the best option I did on my plane. It makes it so much easier to get in and out.

I agree with the others, excellent craftmanship on your build.

Between the seat option

Hey Rockwood,

Go for the box between the seats! Side pockets are good but they fill up and start bulging fast. The space between the seats has a lot of volume and is easily accessed by both people.
It is my go-to spot for batteries, hand held radio, safety gear, and documents. And the step is REALLY useful when you need to do something inside other than sitting and don't want to pull out the cushions. I use it a bunch reaching back into cargo area or general cleaning.

Last edited:
AFS

With Advanced Flight Systems (probably the same for others) I can split my screen for flight display and map (or approach plate, or whatever I need for navigation at that moment) and have engine display on the bottom while the wife looks up some other detail such as checklist items on her display. I am at just about the right size font at that moment, wouldn't want anything smaller. But that is me and my proclivities.

I have AFS in my 7. (It's the cover shot and feature article in the March Kitplanes.) Great stuff and I love the split screen capabilities just not the giant stuff. When I flew medical helicopters, we had a Garmin H500 screen. Perfect size with NVG use. Fun stuff.

me too!

Hey Rockwood,

Go for the box between the seats! Side pockets are good but they fill up and start bulging fast. The space between the seats has a lot of volume and is easily accessed by both people.
It is my go-to spot for batteries, hand held radio, safety gear, and documents. And the step is REALLY useful when you need to do something inside other than sitting and don't want to pull out the cushions. I use it a bunch reaching back into cargo area or general cleaning.

Hi Rockwood! Would be interested in sharing your design? I haven't put pen to paper yet, but I would find a center console very useful. I too have an anti splat step bar, which I love. I just want a place to secure the bits that get tossed around in my mild aerobatics. Maps, phone, small water bottle, flight handbook.
I'm curious about what you are building.

Back