What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel location of GPS Navigator (IFR)

BobTurner

Well Known Member
For some time, I've noticed a trend for builders to locate their gps navigator (GTN650, etc) low - below the nominal panel over the center tunnel. I recently flew in an RV that was layed out like this. (necessary because 3 large glass panels took up all the useable normal panel space). I found using the 650 resulted in a lot of head-down time, and I mean really head-down. Not possible to make a quick eye-movement glance outside. It did not feel comfortable, even though I wasn't the pilot flying. In addition, since the glass did not display all of the 650's enunciations, this is a technical violation of the installation instructions, which are part of the TSO. I have observed, from the right seat, a pilot fail to notice a downgrade from LPV to LNAV, even though his 650 was within the specified mounting location. He did notice the GS had failed, but didn't follow thru to look at the GTN. I'm interested in others' opinions. Is this a real safety issue? A matter of needed training or awareness? Or is this a non-issue?

Yep - exactly correct.

I mount the GPS navigator as high as possible. The audio panel is at the bottom as it rarely gets touched. Each EFIS screen also as high as possible, one on each side of the GPS navigator. AutoPilot module located where my hand naturally falls on it - and never above the GPS navigator.

Carl

Totally agree, the navigator belongs in the center stack, not down below or over on the right side of the panel.
And forget the 3rd display in the middle (unless your goal is purely maximum glass), put a 750 in it's place.

Last edited:
Most (all?) airliners stick the flight management computer (GPS with other navigation/flight management capabilities) down low below the panel and on the center console.

With the installation I'm familiar with, there are annunciators repeating important messages on the glareshield. Things like "MSG", "LNAV", "VNAV", "LPV", etc.

This is also with 2 pilots flying the airplane, not a single pilot aircraft. So take this for what it's worth.

Most (all?) airliners stick the flight management computer (GPS with other navigation/flight management capabilities) down low below the panel and on the center console.

With the installation I'm familiar with, there are annunciators repeating important messages on the glareshield. Things like "MSG", "LNAV", "VNAV", "LPV", etc.

This is also with 2 pilots flying the airplane, not a single pilot aircraft. So take this for what it's worth.

Airliners also have two person cockpit crews allowing one pilot to keep eyes out the window or on appropriate flight instruments while the other crew member programs the GPS.

Just because it works in Airliners doesn’t mean this is an appropriate choice for a single pilot light aircraft.

Skylor

I thought that pretty much all the GTN annunciation was mirrored on the G3XT?
GPS/ENR/TERM etc. right in the middle of the CDI/HSI. Plus all your AP modes are at the top of the AH. I find its a pretty good setup with everything you need right in your field of view once your approach is armed.
Pretty hard to miss.
Unless I'm missing something? :eek:

I do agree though that dipping your head to fiddle with the GTN below the panel would make me uncomfortable - especially hand flying in IMC. I "try" to just move my eyes and keep my head still - not always successfully!

I thought that pretty much all the GTN annunciation was mirrored on the G3XT?

Same.

Perhaps turn this around: Is the crowd's wisdom aware of any annunciators on a navigator supported by the G3X Touch system which aren't mirrored on the G3X Touch PFD?

(referring to "navigator supported by the G3X Touch system" because GTNs aren't the only ones, there's everything from the old GNS400/500 systems up to the newer GNX-, GNC- and GPS-series systems)

- mark

This location was deemed acceptable by both my IFR instructor and my DPE, in my 9A.

This is an older panel shot, and the 430W has been replaced by an IFD440 and the Dynon screens are now HDX, but the geography is the same.

Attachments

• panel pic.jpg
    panel pic.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 117
Back