What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sales Tax Question

1flyingyogi

Well Known Member
I bought my RV4 last year and still have not received a tax bill yet. I was hoping that they just forgot and not have to worry about it! ;) But my friend warned me that they consider it my responsibility to pay my sales tax and that I may get penalized if I don't pay on time.

So what to do?? Just ignore it and wait till something comes in the mail or should I call the BOE and ask them to send me a bill?? I tried calling today, but not easy to get through. Spent 10 minutes just navigating through the automated system and nothing productive came out of it. Couldn't find an option to talk to a real person.

Brian

...Couldn't find an option to talk to a real person.

Brian

I have found that some answering systems will connect you with a human if you simply interrupt their recording repeatedly with "I wish to speak to a REAL PERSON!" I think the words "REAL PERSON" are the same as hitting the "0" button. Try it, it might work. :)

Ok, I finally got through to a person and was told to download form 401 and fill it out and send in a check. The following might be useful for others who are in the same boat:

Phone number to call (not the 800 number): 916-455-9524. Press the following to quickly go through the automated system to get to a real person: 3-3-5

Then explain your situation and she'll give you a source code (or account number if they have it set up for you already).

Then she'll tell you to go here to print out this form (BOE 401-CUTS), calculate your tax rate based on county, then mail your check and you're done!

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/boe401cuts.pdf

So I just calculate the rate myself and just pay? It's great if it's that simple. I just want to get it done with. Thanks!

Brian

I didn't read the whole pdf file but, your tax liability is 9.75% of your sales price?
I see you can deduct prepaid sales tax if you kept all the receipts.
Yikes!:eek:

California is super slow sending out the tax bill, but eventually they will find you. I'm in the same situation and from their website I see that the tax is not delinquent for over a year from the purchase date, therefore no rush. To further complicate things, unlike other sales tax you can't pay aircraft use tax with your income tax return.

Back