What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CherryMax Rivet Installation

Driving '67

Well Known Member
Friend
Hi,

I'm installing the engine mounts on the lower longerons (29-07 step 8). I installed the CR2113-4-5 as supplied by Van's. I was short one rivet so I ordered a additional one from ACS. When I installed the ACS supplied CherryMax the shop end set differently (more flush). I went and reviewed a couple of experienced RV14 builder sites and I saw both shop ends in their installations.

Are both shop ends acceptable? If not, which one is correct. The rivets in question are the two at the end of the engine mount bracket.

Thanks Jim

IMG_4820.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Certainly no expert, but I would say the more flush ones. I had the same problem with setting them. I ended up using at tip from another gun that had a tight hole for the mandrel. With this tip as long as the gun is perpendicular I always get good results. Check your tip to see if there is any slack.

I checked grip length prior to installation. I just spoke with Van's and they are checking into it for me.

Last edited:
If you look on the Cherry website they show that the shop end can stick out and still be OK. It could be "flush" and not be OK, because the manufactured head determines whether or not the rivet set properly (in many applications the rivet is truly blind, so only the manufactured head is visible). If the mandrel is flush (or within their tight limits) on the manufactured side and the head does not sit crooked then the rivet is OK.

Van's said the rivets are perfectly acceptable and that the locking collar on the factory head side is as it should be.

Cheers Jim

Thanks Scott,

I had only looked at the Cherry Aerospace website. My section 5 pages are well worn. :D I had also posted the query as I was unsure of the required standard and thought others might benefit from the question/answer.

I appreciate the quick response I got today from tech support.

Jim

Back