What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY Oxygen

wcalvert

Well Known Member
For those of you considering an O2 system and are interested in a DIY version, here is my current setup. I'm sure this has been done before, if so then another take on a working system.

Parts:

Cylinder, Alum. Type D, CGA870, 1502ED (1) New $90

Cannula, Salter Labs 16SOFT-4 4 Foot $10 for 5

Drive CHAD® Evolution™ Electronic Oxygen Conserver (1) $200

LINE2design Oxygen Cylinder Sleeve Bag $25

The Conserver is the heart of the system and claims to increase the duration of a bottle by 5X. The device can be set for 1 to 6 liter "equivalent" flow and seems to work well in the plane. Notice that the company sent a "Motion" version which adjusts for user movement, not something you need in the plane, but easily bypassed.

It's mounted on the aft side of the flap drive support in the cargo area with two velcro straps. Bit of a challenge to reach in flight but doesn't flow O2 unless you're breathing, so no foul starting the flight with it turned on.

I also added a finger SO2 meter (find those anywhere for $35) and a CO detector:

AV8 Inspector AV8-CO-01 Carbon Monoxide Monitor for Aviation $110

The local dive shop with refill the bottle for $25 and the welding supply will likely do it for a few bucks less (the dive shop was able to fill the CGA870 fitting just fine).

Considering the cost of off the shelf units from other suppliers, this is a reasonably priced system that works well.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20220315_103813.jpg
    20220315_103813.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 385
  • 20220315_103846.jpg
    20220315_103846.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 349
  • 20220315_103905.jpg
    20220315_103905.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 304
Thanks for posting this info. Would you mind adding the sources where you found these parts at those prices? This additional data would be most helpful.

Thanks!

snipped
Parts:

Cylinder, Alum. Type D, CGA870, 1502ED (1) New $90

Cannula, Salter Labs 16SOFT-4 4 Foot $10 for 5

LINE2design Oxygen Cylinder Sleeve Bag $25
snipped
The local dive shop with refill the bottle for $25 and the welding supply will likely do it for a few bucks less (the dive shop was able to fill the CGA870 fitting just fine).snipped
Cheers

Bill,
Great post. I will have to investigate that Conserver. I was lucky to be given two similar tanks [full] a regulator and 3 cannula from a friend who happens to be an EMT Lieutenant. I found a nice used bag on eBay for cheap.

I also have my tanks refilled at the local dive shop. They also re-certify the tanks when needed.

Is this set up for a single person feed or two?

Rick,
Both the standard regulator and the Conserver Bill mentions have one output nipple. You can simply add a plastic or metal Y fitting to split the feed for two people. I've done this and had no issues. I imagine that they also make dual output regulators. Then you have to cap one off when flying solo.

Ok, lots of questions ... here goes.

Sources as of Feb 2022:

Cylinder, Alum. Type D, CGA870, 1502ED (1) New $90 https://www.tri-medinc.com

Cannula, Salter Labs 16SOFT-4 4 Foot $10 for 5 https://www.tri-medinc.com

Drive CHAD® Evolution™ Electronic Oxygen Conserver (1) $200 https://dmesupplyusa.com/

LINE2design Oxygen Cylinder Sleeve Bag $25 Amazon online

AV8 Inspector AV8-CO-01 Carbon Monoxide Monitor for Aviation https://sensorcon-sensing-products-by-molex.myshopify.com/

finger SO2 meter Amazon online (note: I find that the $35 ones are fair at best, some work, some not as well. Nonin makes a military grade version that is significantly more $ but is a great unit)

This unit feeds one canula. Splitting the feed on a demand system may or may not work. Since this equipment is designed for ambulatory therapy, a single patient is the intended use.

Also note that the tank and regulator are items that typically require a prescription to buy (new). Some dealers seem to follow that guidance, others do not. If you're asked for a script, simply tell them that it is for "emergency supplemental oxygen aboard an aircraft" and send them a copy of your airman cert... or talk to your AME

Last edited:
I recently put together a similar system except I used a pediatric regulator with an output range of 0-5 liters ($75). Total cost not including shipping or the mounting clamps was about $190.

Attachments

• 183848B4-2F16-4FB9-9BBA-FFEBA8ABFB8C.jpeg
    183848B4-2F16-4FB9-9BBA-FFEBA8ABFB8C.jpeg
    503.8 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Altitude Range

The manual for the Chad device states the operating range is up to 10,000 feet. Have you tested it above that altitude?

Bill

Had it up to 10.5 and it worked fine there. I'm doing a cross country next week and planning on using it, with my max alt being somewhere around 12.5 or so. Don't need to set any records and plan to keep a close eye on my blood ox levels along the way.

I will say that at 10.5, a couple of hits on the O2 bumped my level from 93 to 96 in about 30 seconds at 1l equiv. flow.

Will report back with some details.

Evolution regulator

Hi Bill,
Did you make any selection to put the regulator into a standard 20 pules per minute or just leave it in auto detect mode. The data sheet notes that vibration from a vehicle can disrupt the pulse sensing mechanism - just wondering if you found that happened in flight. Looking at the data sheet the pulse configuration certainly extends the duration of a D size bottle by a large margin.

Keith

Keith

Long time! To take care of the movement function you simply set the flow for static and motion to the same level... then no difference. And the unit in auto will pulse only when a breath is sensed, so it has no fixed rate. If you set it to manual, you get 2l per minute constant flow, kind of a fallback for a dead battery.

More reviews to come soon!

Keith

Long time! To take care of the movement function you simply set the flow for static and motion to the same level... then no difference. And the unit in auto will pulse only when a breath is sensed, so it has no fixed rate. If you set it to manual, you get 2l per minute constant flow, kind of a fallback for a dead battery.

More reviews to come soon!

Bill,

How does the Drive CHAD® Evolution™ Electronic Oxygen Conserver compare (conserving oxygen) to something like the Mountain High EDS system? Are you able to use the Drive CHAD system with two people?

Brian

Last edited:
Brian, I have no experience with the MH system. The Drive system feeds one user and is not designed to be split after the regulator ... so spend and extra $k and get a two person MH system or get another complete Drive system with bottle for $150! I do think a crafty builder could split the feed from the bottle to feed two Drive regs and make it work, just don't know if it's worth the effort. This setup suits my needs perfectly and I'll never leave home on a long XC without it!

BTW The last XC is just did two weeks ago logged about 22 hours, of which maybe 10 were on O2 at 2l/min. That covers a lot of high altitude flying.

Cheers!

Brian, I have no experience with the MH system. The Drive system feeds one user and is not designed to be split after the regulator ... so spend and extra $k and get a two person MH system or get another complete Drive system with bottle for $150! I do think a crafty builder could split the feed from the bottle to feed two Drive regs and make it work, just don't know if it's worth the effort. This setup suits my needs perfectly and I'll never leave home on a long XC without it!

BTW The last XC is just did two weeks ago logged about 22 hours, of which maybe 10 were on O2 at 2l/min. That covers a lot of high altitude flying.

Cheers!

Thanks Bill. Building two units is indeed an option, but I'm concerned about mounting space for the 2 tanks in an RV8. I'll evaluate options. I appreciate your PIREP.

Well done!

---------------------------
Minecraft Coding describes the process of using Java code to add personalized items and gameplay to Minecraft. For instance, coders can create their own blocks, and even design unique adventure maps to share with friends

Last edited:
Just put together a DIY O2 system for about $200. Used the Nuvälsa low flow (Pediatric) regulator - $50 plus a 5 pack of comfort soft canals $8 from Amazon and a M9 bottle $140 + shipping, from a medical supply company online (refurbished unit). So far no complaints, system works well. Depending on the level of use I get I'll decide on whether or not to upgrade to the fancy MH regulator. As of right now a local pilot has a fill station so our O2 is extremely cheap at home so no rush to upgrade the regulator. Links below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086439F2W?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

https://www.amazon.com/gp/your-account/order-history?ref_=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_tb_open&orderFilter=open

https://www.vitalitymedical.com

Back