What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving During Build Process

ccast04

Hello all,

I have been lurking on these forums for years now. I've wanted to build since being introduced to the idea in 2013. My biggest hang-up to this point has been money and time. I think I'm in a comfortable place with both now.

My next concern is I am active duty Air Force with about 8 years until I retire. I am pretty much guaranteed to move at least 2 (maybe 3) more times. What I'm wanting is some insight from those who have had to pick-up shop and continue in a different state and possibly a different country. Is this something I should wait until I retire to start or should I jump in now and do my best to keep track of the thousands of parts and pieces along the way?

The models I am considering are the -9A, -12 and the -10. I know they are all different with varying degrees of difficulty. I am leaning toward the -9A right now but the -10 was the whole reason I started looking at building in the first place.

The Vans builder community is by far the largest and most supportive so I figured I'd throw this topic out there for discussion.

Start building when you move to your final duty station (the one you will retire out of) assuming it is someplace reasonable. That is what I did.

For example, if your last duty station is the Pentagon odds are you will start your next career in the DC area - so no moving the build. Other options of course are out there for other duty stations.

If you last duty station is outside the country I suggest you just wait to start building.

Carl

The sooner you start, the sooner you will be finished. I would not let the moving factor have an impact on when to start. I would build the parts, and crate them up properly in anticipation of the move when completed. By the time you retire and at your final destination, you will be well on your way to a completed airplane.

Hello! I moved many times cross-country for new jobs during my RV-3B rebuild project. It took a lot of time to get each new workshop set up. Lighting, workbenches, electrical... I never had any parts get damaged because we would wrap the finished parts in shipping blankets with lots of duct tape and stack them carefully in the trailer on top of the couch or whatever was soft. We also always moved ourselves. I would never trust a furniture mover with airplane parts... never!!

The last major move from Tennessee to Kansas, I knew there would be no room for a workshop in Kansas for a long time, as we were renting a duplex and there were no hangars available suitable for building. I had a local buddy who was always asking to buy my project, so finally I relented. It was a relief to not have to haul the thing again (would have been 4 multi-state journeys). I'd say, don't be afraid of doing it. Tails and wings aren't that hard to move. A fuselage isn't either but you'll need a bigger trailer. Be prepared to spend a lot of time rebuilding your workshop. Keep all your parts organized. And move the plane pieces yourself, even if you have to rent a Uhaul.

And the nice thing about a Van's kit is that you can buy your tail/wing/fuselage/finish kits one at a time, so your parts organization is more manageable.

Last edited:
I finished a -9A at my first duty station. The -10 project is about to experience its 3rd PCS. So far nothing has been lost (that I know of), but it has made moving more of a hassle. I don't think the TMO contracted movers will take your parts, but you probably wouldn't want them to anyway. So that will mean a PPM if you don't complete the project ahead any PCSs.

My recommendation is to not wait. If you really want to build, it's worth the hassle. The alternative is something may come up later and you might never start.

Military moves can be challenging. I had 13 in a 22 year career (with 6 overseas assignments).

I echo Carl's comments: wait until your last PCS (unless you are overseas, then wait until you retire).

But if you want to get into it now, you could start with the empennage kit. Much easier to move than a wing kit. Moving projects is not fun, and as Carl noted, you are rebuilding benches, work areas, etc. I've moved two motorcycle restorations 5 different times (after I retired, wife's job moved us), and yes, it is a pain having to pack/move/unpack/figure out where you left.

I wasn’t military, but I did retire and move 2200 miles with my RV-7 empennage and wings structurally complete, and slow build fuselage at about the quick build stage. I hired Tony Partain’s company to move it all, and it worked out great.

When a friend in the Air Force got PCS’d and discovered the the Air Force wouldn’t cover moving his airplane project, he hung the individual assemblies on the wall and had them moved as artwork. (I don’t think he’d started the fuselage.)

I moved once across the Atlantic, then once locally

I moved from France to Canada.
I had the empennage, the wings and most of the fuselage done in France.
Once started again in Canada, I moved again a year later in another hangar at the airport. Less packing that time but still time loss.

As others said, the sooner you start, the sooner you finish.
I wish I'd start ten years sooner, but that's another story.

Setting up shop, tools, workbenches, etc does take up some time.
Then dismantling and putting everything in boxes/cases/crates takes even longer...
Unpacking and setting up shop again is another time consuming task.
Not counting the time for the trucks/boats or other to move from one place to another.
Including the actual moving of stuff, I estimate losing a good year.

In short, everytime you move, you'll lose time. And possibly money for the movers. But it's only that if all goes well.
Good luck !!!

Start with the Empennage

I agree with Pat - start the tail kit. Then you have a couple of choices - move it with you, sell it, store it near where you plan to retire. I did one international move but I cheated - just paid a really good moving company to do it for me. Yes, it was crazy expensive.

Keeping track of the parts is not that hard - several parts drawers, some ikea containers, etc. Build the tail where you are, wings at your next station, fuselage, then finishing and final assembly in your "final" location.

The challenge with international gov't moves is sometimes they won't move something like an airplane, boat, windsurfer, etc. I believe they will move tools. Some moves they just give you an empty sea container and let you go to town. Not sure how the USAF does it today.

Do it!

Chris,
First, cheers to you for your service.

I'm in the "do it, and do it now" crowd. Life will slow you down of course, but having the project available is a wonderful distraction. I liked roping my sons into the project: Great father/sons time. If you must deploy or go remote, you can always store the project. TMO can help there.

My first 2 years of the build took place as I served on the HQ ACC staff. I then retired and moved the project to Texas. I hired Partain Trading Company to move my project from Langley AFB to the DFW area. $2000 of well-invested fundage. Everything showed up, no damage, great decision.

Now, Tony Partain has sold his business to Stewart Transportation, who continues to move aircraft projects in their specialized trailers. Bonded, insured, etc. They move aircraft for Sonex, Vans, and others. The "Auto and Aircraft Division" direct line is 602-283-2777. BTW, TMO did not cover my project move.

In short: I hope you'll go ahead and pull the trigger. You have options, Chris.

Moved my RV-6 project (flying 23-years now) and shop while it was under construction 5 times over 8.5 years.

My present RV-8 project had tail and one wing complete when it moved several states away.

I did a partial DITY, loaded up the T hangar workshop, smaller parts, wings, etc in a moving truck and then loaded the fuselage/empennage (on landing gear) onto a uhaul car trailer. Drove it all about 6 hours, stopping a few times to check strapping, etc. destination was a t hangar I had already visited and rented. Took the greyhound back home next day or so later to finish the pcs.

I started our 7A project 2 months after arriving at Sheppard AFB. I know I'll be here for 4 years (medical corps), and I'll be punching out as soon as they let me. We don't have any kids (yet), and my wife is really on-board with the build. It became apparent we'd polish off the tailkit much sooner than I'd budgeted and we're now building a shop in the backyard while waiting on wings/fuselage.

We were vacillating about the same decision (do we start), debating a 7A, 8A, or 10. The airport owner, who also built a 10 some years before we arrived, gave us the push we needed to get started. In his opinion, moving the project wouldn't be an issue, particularly just once back to Ohio in 2024. This was all we needed. If you know you want to build, and this thread is all you need, I'm genuinely happy for you.

We ended up with the 7A because my wife absolutely loves aerobatics. Barring that, we probably would have opted for the 10.

If money and time are still a consideration, the 12 is a phenomenal airplane. If a 9A is under consideration, the 12 does everything it will, just doesn't move as fast. It will build in half the time, and there's little room for "creep" if you stick to an E-LSA (as I believe you really should). In my opinion, resale value is better for the 12 than a 9 as well due to the expanded market. I have some bias here as I started my PPL training in a P92 with a Rotax.

Thanks for the info

I appreciate all the responses from both sides. I think looking at a potential 5+ year timeline, it makes more sense to start now. Waiting until I retire just adds to the end goal. I will try to keep everyone posted if/when I actually take the leap to join this awesome community.

My finished and flying 9A has more miles on a trailer than in the air! It only has 3 flights so far, but it went from qb stage in OR to Colorado, to Idaho, back to Colorado, then back to Idaho where it was finished. Everything will fit on a 7x18 trailer. If you can keep it off the gear, it will move a whole lot easier.

Have fun and consider buying it at qb stage so you will get flying faster.

Start now!

I began my build the during the 10th year of my 20 yr active duty career. I moved three times before retiring. I rented a U-Haul and did a partial DITY each time. Probably lost a little money on the last move because the airplane was mostly complete except for some firewall forward and wiring stuff and I needed a larger truck for the required volume than otherwise would have been needed. I finished my airplane 6 months before my last duty date. The airline interviewers got a kick that I had flown my own airplane that I built to the interview and my suit didn't have a single wrinkle!

Do it and do it now!

Go ahead and start

I’ve moved 2x during my current build. Not really a problem. Especially if you can get the small pieces turned into big pieces. I found that all the small stuff (not just airplane related) was much more time consuming than the big stuff. Regardless of whether you never move or move 5 times, I’d recommend buying about 20 of the clear plastic storage boxes. Plano is the brand I have but I’m sure there are others that work just as well. Put various sizes of An3 bolts in one, various sizes of an4 bolts in another, all of the machine screws in another, An470-4 rivets in another, An426-3 rivets in yet another, AN426-4 in another.. repeat for cotter pins, electrical stuff, zip ties, blind rivets, washers, nuts, etc, etc. It’ll make your build so much more organized, you’ll be able to find the stuff you need when you need it (remember, these build times are measured in years) and then all the little bits will be accounted for and easy to move.

I moved my -8 project three times, including 2 different countries. One time it was well beyond QB state.
I had the same concerns that you have. I ended up saying that the only (really) mistake i made was that i should have started to build 5 years earlier.
It can be done!

By now, i see it like this:
There are as many reasons to start right now as there are excuses not to. You can argue both options with very good, reasonable and well-thought arguments.

It will come down to this question:
Do you want to build an aircraft? Yes/No

If the answer is Yes, don’t lose any more time and start right away.
If the answer is no, don’t do it.

What makes you think that there are less problems to overcome in 4years then there are now? Because most probably there won’t!

Personally, i compare this question always with the question whether one want to have children or not.
There is nothing like “the right time”. There are always as many reasons, concerns (and fears) for both options. Same final question here. Do you want it, or not?

I never regretted saying Yes to both. But already said, i should have started building my plane earlier........

I moved once. I was 90% done with the empennage kit. I bubble wrapped all the big pieces and bought many sandwich sized glad bags for the bits.

I wouldn’t trust the moving companies the military contracts out. Do a partial dity like someone else mentioned.

By now, i see it like this:
There are as many reasons to start right now as there are excuses not to. You can argue both options with very good, reasonable and well-thought arguments.

It will come down to this question:
Do you want to build an aircraft? Yes/No

If the answer is Yes, don’t lose any more time and start right away.
If the answer is no, don’t do it.

THIS is perfect!

Back