VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
w/a Donation






VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

  #11  
Old 09-26-2023, 11:29 AM
flyavater324's Avatar
flyavater324 flyavater324 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Atlantic Beach, NC
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
The RV-6 has little to no tendency to ground loop even with aft CG. But pitch can get very sensitive when the CG goes aft due to lack of feel and feedback in the stick. This can make landings challenging for a pilot who isn't familiar with this tendency. The springy landing gear can quickly initiate a PIO which can end badly if the pilot isn't prepare to deal with it.

Get good transition training and enjoy your new ride!
Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-26-2023, 01:26 PM
DanH's Avatar
DanH DanH is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 08A
Posts: 11,873
Default

You will be assimilated...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Borg.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	48570  
__________________
Dan Horton
RV-8 SS
Barrett IO-390
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-26-2023, 06:55 PM
Martyrv6a Martyrv6a is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 165
Default

+1 what Sam said. I have the -6A model which is the ďauto-landĒ version. Be aware the CG moves aft with fuel burn so when two up with full baggage the stick gets very light in pitch when landing after a long x-country, and I have an O360 with CS prop!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-26-2023, 10:39 PM
flyavater324's Avatar
flyavater324 flyavater324 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Atlantic Beach, NC
Posts: 6
Default

I umderstand what PIO is. Iíve never experienced it or if I did it was so slow and recoverable Iíve never that twice about it. I guess Iím just going to have to fly it to understand what you nice peeps are telling me about the lack of stick?? How do you keep that from happening or inducing it? Thx as always!
Al
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-26-2023, 10:41 PM
flyavater324's Avatar
flyavater324 flyavater324 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Atlantic Beach, NC
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyrv6a View Post
+1 what Sam said. I have the -6A model which is the ďauto-landĒ version. Be aware the CG moves aft with fuel burn so when two up with full baggage the stick gets very light in pitch when landing after a long x-country, and I have an O360 with CS prop!
Mine has the O320 with fixed blade. Would I be correct with less hp and a fixed blade, this would be MORE of an issue?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-27-2023, 01:04 AM
billytime1 billytime1 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: spring valley
Posts: 132
Default Donít call vans for tech support on a 6

Welcome to vans forum. Iím building a six, I think they are awesome. Enjoy the community and the plane
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-27-2023, 01:45 AM
ronrapp's Avatar
ronrapp ronrapp is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: North Tustin, CA
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyavater324 View Post
I guess I’m just going to have to fly it to understand what you nice peeps are telling me about the lack of stick?? How do you keep that from happening or inducing it? Thx as always!
Al
I have an RV-6 with IO-360 and a ground-adjustable composite Sensenich propeller, so my CG is on the aft end of the envelope even with very little in the cargo area.

In my experience, when the airplane is in the roundout/flare, the aft CG manifests itself as a greater sensitivity in pitch. It's a little annoying to the OCD part of me that always wants a perfect landing, but I wouldn't call it unsafe. Just be aware of it, and if you see any PIO developing or you bounce the landing (mains first), just go around. A wheel landing may be preferable to a 3 point in this configuration. I'm split on them -- I do the 3 point and wheels in about equal number.

Even with me, my 8 year old son, and 100 lbs of baggage on board, I still come up within CG for takeoff and landing. It's close, but it works.

--Ron
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-27-2023, 08:19 AM
Sam Buchanan's Avatar
Sam Buchanan Sam Buchanan is offline
been here awhile
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 4,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyavater324 View Post
Mine has the O320 with fixed blade. Would I be correct with less hp and a fixed blade, this would be MORE of an issue?
My RV-6 is also O-320 with fixed metal Sensenich prop. What we are all stressing is the need for good, thorough transition training. The RV most likely has control forces during landing that are much lighter than anything you have flown, and it being a light aircraft means slight control inputs result in large pitch excursions. This is compounded by the design "feature" of gear legs that are too short to allow the wing to fully stall while landing three-point in a manner that is customarily seen with taildraggers. So landings can be abrupt unless precise airspeed control is maintained which requires familiarity with the airplane. Too fast by three knots and the infamous "RV Skip" occurs or three knots slow and it is an arrival instead of a landing. I transition trained with Mike Seager who has thousands of RV hours. I recall him telling me "The RV is easy to fly but challenging to fly precisely". Very true.

RV taildraggers have had prop strikes due to pilots not being prepared to address these factors (two at my airport, no, I wasn't one of them) which are compounded by the springy gear. But once you gain familiarity with the RV-6 you will love flying it. I've been flying mine for 24 years and it's still teaching me how to land.....but maybe I'm just a slow learner.
__________________
Sam Buchanan
RV-6

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 09-27-2023 at 08:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-27-2023, 09:08 AM
DanH's Avatar
DanH DanH is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 08A
Posts: 11,873
Default

Sam is dead on, as usual. Back in 2010, the underwriter for my then brand new RV-8 asked for two hours of transition training, despite a fair bit of previous -8 time. So I hooked up with a CFI and his RV-6, a model I had never flown. It was an eye-opener.

I had been flying a Legend Cub for the previous year, so I was using control inputs way in excess of what was necessary. It was more pitch sensitive than the -8 I had been flying, unless the 8 was loaded way aft. And be aware of convex (bulged) aileron trailing edges, which will make roll really sensitive.

You didn't mention it, but if you're tall, do all you can to get the pedals as far forward as possible. Bad leg and foot angles can make a decent taildragger driver look like an idiot. Ask me how I know...
__________________
Dan Horton
RV-8 SS
Barrett IO-390
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-27-2023, 09:16 AM
Mel's Avatar
Mel Mel is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas area
Posts: 11,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Sam is dead on, as usual. Back in 2010, the underwriter for my then brand new RV-8 asked for two hours of transition training, despite a fair bit of previous -8 time. So I hooked up with a CFI and his RV-6, a model I had never flown. It was an eye-opener.
I had been flying a Legend Cub for the previous year, so I was using control inputs way in excess of what was necessary. It was more pitch sensitive than the -8 I had been flying, unless the 8 was loaded way aft. And be aware of convex (bulged) aileron trailing edges, which will make roll really sensitive.
You didn't mention it, but if you're tall, do all you can to get the pedals as far forward as possible. Bad leg and foot angles can make a decent taildragger driver look like an idiot. Ask me how I know...
I always said that the RV-6 is easy to lane, but very difficult to land consistently.

Just about the time you think you've got it, it will surprise you.
__________________
Mel Asberry, DAR since the last century. Over 1,100 certifications accomplished. Discount for Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire Fighters.
EAA Flight Advisor/Tech Counselor, Friend of the RV-1, Lifetime EAA.
Recipient of EAA Tony Bingelis Award and Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:10 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.