What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Britt/Paulk Aviation Insurance

ddddsp

Well Known Member
Just curious how many Rvers are getting insurance from Britt/Paulk Aviation? Was given a quote from them and was unfamilar with the name. Any experience or warnings would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Just curious how many Rvers are getting insurance from Britt/Paulk Aviation? Was given a quote from them and was unfamilar with the name. Any experience or warnings would be appreciated.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger with them. I was told by my agent that they've been around for awhile, but have been insuring experimentals until recently. They wer significantly less than the Chartis quote that I had received.

Pros: cost and they have a monthly billing plan

Cons: I was told that there is no open pilot clause, just named pilots only

I don't have the policy yet, so I have all the same curiosity questions too.

Hope to see you at OSH this year. Unfortunately, there is no way I can have phase I completed in time. I'll be lucky just to have the pink slip by then.

Bob

Britt Paulk was one of the new start up aviation underwriters about 6 years ago. They'd been heavy in airport property insurance before that (and other things, like chicken processing equipment and swine confinement).

They have always been cheap on premium. Their underwriting is hit an miss - ie unpredictable. They lost their reinsurance backing a couple of years ago and dropped out of the business for a year or so.

If you really need more of a decrease than you're getting from the larger companies, go ahead and give them a chance if you want. Just know where you're going if they fold up by your renewal next year. Don't burn any bridges. Claims service that I've been a part of was a poor experience.

My $0.02

They have a good solid group of experienced underwriters that are flexible and knowledgeable, know and like experimental airplanes. I would insure my own plane there now, but they don't do round engines.

Their computerized quoting now plays well with others and they are running hard and doing a good job.

I don't think I have delivered them any claims yet.

Rec non-renewal letter from Britt Paulk yesterday

I have 85 accident free hours in the last 10 months. Looking for Jeff Rhodes. Renewal due Nov 30. So Bob, I don't recommend BP even though it saved me a little money. Sounds like it was a good thing I did not have a claim.

Highly recommend Jenny @ Nationair. They are simply the best in the business. Best rates, most reasonable with training requirements, and are awesome to deal with if you have a claim.

I just got a letter from Britt Paulk today, saying they are not going to renew me.:mad:

Two years with them, no claims.

Stated reason in the letter is "Carrier exiting program"

That figures.......

I just got my insurance last Wednesday. That doesn't make sense if they are also sending out cancelation notices. One would have thought that they would have refused my policy.

Same here.
I signed up with them two weeks ago.

Thread gives me something to think about.

Britt Paulk was one of the new start up aviation underwriters about 6 years ago. They'd been heavy in airport property insurance before that (and other things, like chicken processing equipment and swine confinement).

They have always been cheap on premium. Their underwriting is hit an miss - ie unpredictable. They lost their reinsurance backing a couple of years ago and dropped out of the business for a year or so.

If you really need more of a decrease than you're getting from the larger companies, go ahead and give them a chance if you want. Just know where you're going if they fold up by your renewal next year. Don't burn any bridges. Claims service that I've been a part of was a poor experience.

My $0.02

I'll just repost my comments from the spring...;)

Hardy's your BROKER

Britt Paulk is an underwriting company. Hardy, Nationair, Falcon, SkySmith, CS&A, etc. place your business with companies like Britt Paulk - or Global Aerospace, Chartis, Starr, etc....

Just got off the phone with my broker and still don't have the complete info yet. She promised to get me more details later today.

It appears that Britt Paulk has had some companies pull out of their insurance pool and are in negotiations with replacement companies, but those negotiations are in process. It appears due to certain state regulations, they are required to send out notifications about potential non-renewals.

I guess this puts a fair number of folks in the position of having to bet if the negotiations are sucessful and get completed in a timely fashion, or vote with their feet to another underwriter. Only hindsight is 20/20, so this is causing some concern.

I was told they suspended writing new polcies on 10/1, but I don't know that to be entirely true. Apparently they have guaranteed coverage with the existing insurance pool through 11/1/13.

I was also informed that even though this is a soft market for insurance at the moment, many underwriters are getting concerned about the number of annual hours flown. It appears that there is a trend due to the economy that people are flying less, there for their currency may not be where it should. At this point, I think that is just speculation.

I've been told that I can get a pro-rated refund on my policy, but the issue I'm struggling with is the next policy is about a grand more. The decision boils down to whether or not I'm willing to except issues should any claim be required versus the offset in cost of the premium.

Thanks for the info Bob. I too just renewed with BP and did my first year and first flight with them for cost reasons. They were easily over $1k less. BP had more restrictions on the flyoff, however. I had a 500k coverage limit and a 10% deductible during phase1. It was certainly a risk to consider at the time.

Jae

It appears that Britt Paulk has had some companies pull out of their insurance pool and are in negotiations with replacement companies, but those negotiations are in process. It appears due to certain state regulations, they are required to send out notifications about potential non-renewals.

I was told they suspended writing new polcies on 10/1, but I don't know that to be entirely true. Apparently they have guaranteed coverage with the existing insurance pool through 11/1/13.

This is about the third time they've lost their reinsurance backing in the 6-7 years they've been doing general aviation. Britt Paulk is a pretty weak underwriter, in my opinion.
Yes - they're cheap. ...and I suspect that having losses exceeding premiums is one of the reasons that they can't keep reinsurance in place.

Insurance

I know you guys and gals are going to find this hard to believe but I saved $800 a year by switching from AVEMCO to Nations Air. I still don't know how AVEMCO can get away with the premiums they charge. I've had Nations Air before with other airplanes and it wasn't so much of a difference. Once I got into RVs I guess insurance companies have different opinions. I am very happy with Nations Air and they have an office right here in St Louis at KSUS.

I know you guys and gals are going to find this hard to believe but I saved $800 a year by switching from AVEMCO to Nations Air.

Not hard to believe at all.
Avemco being drastically more expensive is a pretty common story. I used them for one year only, way back in 2001 on my very first airplane, a Cherokee 140. Nobody else was very keen on selling insurance at all to a brand new 90 hour pilot and his very first airplane but Avemco did... at a big price and they were all I could get on short notice. I switched to AOPA's insurance my 2nd year on the old Cherokee for about $800 less as well (about half the cost).

We agree with Jeff Rhodes on this topic. We have chose not to work with Britt Paulk these past few years due to thier past instability. The lowest price doesn't always equal the best value.

Regards,

Jenny Estes
Vans Prgram Manager
877-648-8267

Last edited:
Avemco is simply not interested in RV business, if one judges by their quotes (I asked last year, it was nearly double Chartis'). However, if you ask for a quote, they will send you a nice baseball cap. My hangar neighbor, looking at their quote, remarked that it must be the world's most expensive hat!

PS I see some posters are still confusing the insurance company and the broker. Only AVEMCO uses in-house agents. All other companies (e.g., Chartis) do business thru an independent agency (e.g., NationAir).

Britt Paulk not reissuing policy

Just received notice from Britt Paulk that they will not be reissuing coverage on my rv-10. Letter states that their carrier is withdrawing from the market.

Good news is that they've given me some advanced notice ( exp, 03/11/13).
No claims ever. Stock rv-10.

Tom Johnson, my broker, was very helpful when I originally applied last year.
Looks like I'll be giving him a call next week.

I?m not quite as boastful or gleeful as some about an underwriter with significant emphasis on Vans aircraft having to close its doors. Britt/Paulk came into aviation and did the one thing everyone here wanted, gave a good effort and it didn?t work out. I have a lot of respect for that effort.

These underwriters, the people, have worked at other aviation insurance entities and will be back with other companies before long. In the meantime some have to pack up, pull the kids out of school and move to a new city and start over. I?m sorry about that.

They read and discuss these forums just like we do, I personally I want to say Thanks.

Back