What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 seat base

Davidman

Hi All fellow builders,
I’m trying to find the plans or some pictures maybe of the RV4 front seat base/filler that supports the actual seat.
Thanks in advance.
David.

There is no seat base or additional structure on an RV-4, the bottom seat foam sits directly on the floor panels. I added footwells for the back seat passenger as shown in the photo, the front seat foam sits on the floor between the footwells.View attachment 30023

Attachments

• 1BE0C0A7-2FDF-4637-9DFF-E1E47BE82A90.jpg
    1BE0C0A7-2FDF-4637-9DFF-E1E47BE82A90.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 117
RV-4 Front Seat Cushion Support

As other posters have alluded to, the plans give no direction about the front seat cushion. Van pretty well leaves that up to you. Having said that, depending on your height, there may be as much as 5" total height there that can be used for that purpose.

I'm a little guy (5'10" on a good day, when I was younger - now, not so much!), so I built a "toolbox" that screws to the floorboard longerons and provides the proper height and "rake" for a suitably sized cushion (which was then attached with Velcro).

Mine happens to go over the spar carry through and "lands" on the top cover of the forward tunnel.

But about any option that meets your needs in that area is up to you.

YMMV - but this is one way to deal with this issue.

HFS
RV-4 S/N 1136

Attachments

• RV-4 Front Seat “Toolbox” - 2.jpg
    RV-4 Front Seat “Toolbox” - 2.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 89
  • RV-4 Front Seat “Toolbox”.jpg
    RV-4 Front Seat “Toolbox”.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 85
Seat Pan

I just removed the "seat pan build up" in a project I am completing as I am over 6' and the original builder was much shorter. I can send you a pictures is you PM me with an email ([email protected])

RV4 Seat Base

I used Oregon Aero seat foam in the front and back seats. The foam is contoured such that you do not need a base. The downside is the foam is heavy, especially the back seat. They are comfortable however.

RV-4 front seat support

Hi All fellow builders,
I’m trying to find the plans or some pictures maybe of the RV4 front seat base/filler that supports the actual seat.
Thanks in advance.
David.

Hey, David:

Here are the plans for mine. I modified the profile some to add some lateral support. Works very well and is light-weight. I still need a foam wedge to bring the front end of the seat cushion up to where I like it....

Attachments

• img806.pdf
    195.6 KB · Views: 103
Rear seat, front seat....whatever......!

Hey, David:

Here are the plans for mine. I modified the profile some to add some lateral support. Works very well and is light-weight. I still need a foam wedge to bring the front end of the seat cushion up to where I like it....

Well, those were the plans for the REAR seat. Let me go explore and see if I can find the plans for the FRONT seat....:rolleyes::D

Back