What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filter Diameter

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Quick survey please...more research.

Subject is oil filter diameter. Specific interest is the max possible OD when mounted on a filter adapter calling for a xx108 or xx109 series filter.

Not an all-inclusive list, but examples might be the angle adapters from Titan, B&C, and Superior.

A standard Lycoming AC-style points the filter straight aft, has a built-in element bypass, and use a 110/111 filter. Not of interest here.

Please check clearances in the vicinity of the filter base, motor mount, rear alternator, etc, and tell me what you have. Standard Champion/Tempest is 3.7". Do we have 4.3"?

On the RV-3, we couldn't do it - the filter is almost right up against the engine mount, and with a larger diameter, it MIGHT fit statically, but certainly not dynamically.

I want to say that’s with the 1.5” spacer, but don't have the cowl off, so can’t measure, and don't remember. I do remember that a longer space would start putting you into the firewall. The RV-3 is tight!

I have the Air Wolf AFC- K001 fire wall mounted remote oil filter. It has about 0.5” clearance to the firewall. I have hose clamped a piece of rubber hose to the lower body of my xx109 filter filling in that gap to keep it from vibrating and fatiguing the bracket. I will look for a picture if you would like one.

Superior 360 /champion filter/B&C 410 pad alternator

The filter barely clears the alternator but it does. 3.320 ish OD. Can’t post pics. Send email for pic if desired.

Back