What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil pressure after shutdown

GeoffH

Hello, finished installing the oil cooler today. Used the starter (plugs out) to build pressure and lube the engine.

New Titan 340, Phillips X/C SAE 20W‐50, builds 50psi at cranking speed.

I noticed the oil pressure is slow to decrease once the engine stops. It drops to about 30 psi in a few seconds but then is surprisingly slow to go any lower. perhaps 30 - 45 seconds to get to 15psi. There is an oil pressure switch, and a pressure sender, they both agree so I don't believe it is an indication issue.

I'm hoping this is just a symptom of cold oil, and the Vans AN restrictor fitting in the engine?

Check port not blocked

In my experience the oil pressure drops to zero and the red light goes on within a few seconds after shut down. I don't know if cold oil would make that much difference especially considering that it is 20W. Can you remove the hose and check for some small debris that may be blocking the restrictor? Assuming this is a standard type install with the manifold up on the firewall and a flexible hose down to the 45 degree AN fitting.

Restrictor should only delay bleed down a few seconds. I would be a bit concerned about holding 15 PSI for a minute, as that is not normal. May have a blockage somewhere. No big deal if it is in the sensor line, but is a big deal if somewhere in the engine's oil circuit.

Larry

Back