What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Birds nests in horizontal stab

Found some birds were trying to build new condos in my horizontal stabilizer. Luckily it was early in construction and I was able to pull out most of the sticks and straw.

I've started tying my control stick with the seatbelts after flights in my -9A. It pulls the stick back and opens up the holes in the horizontal stabilizer. Any ideas on how to prevent birds from nesting in there? Is there some solution that doesn't require me removing/adding some plug material before/after every flight?

Oh man, birds... ironic that we try to emulate them but they cause us so much grief.

Perhaps some gap seal tape at the openings. I have gap seal tape as a speed mod on the underside of the HS/elevator full length (pictured). I can't say what effect that had on speed but that would be another story. I tried it on the top but that messed up the aerodynamics (caused much higher stick force) so I took it off there and would recommend against it. But maybe across the bottom (without the cutouts) and on the top only at the openings to prevent birds from getting in?
EDIT: Oops apparently the OP was asking about the holes in the end ribs. So, never mind (except maybe the first sentence!).

Attachments

• hs_under.jpg
    hs_under.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
I think your aeroplane would be better off with some external gust locks on the elevator, rather than having those forces transmitted through the control linkages for extended periods (long enough for birds to build a nest) while parked up. ;)

Oh man, birds... ironic that we try to emulate them but they cause us so much grief.

Perhaps some gap seal tape at the openings. I have gap seal tape as a speed mod on the underside of the HS/elevator full length (pictured). I can't say what effect that had on speed but that would be another story. I tried it on the top but that messed up the aerodynamics (caused much higher stick force) so I took it off there and would recommend against it. But maybe across the bottom (without the cutouts) and on the top only at the openings to prevent birds from getting in?

That is kinda funny. We want to fly like the birds, but then uninvite them to the party - at least, anywhere near us or our parked planes.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think I explained the situation well. The holes I was referring to are on the sides of the horizontal stabilizer. See attached pic.

Attachments

• IMG_6854.jpg
    IMG_6854.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 303
I think your aeroplane would be better off with some external gust locks on the elevator, rather than having those forces transmitted through the control linkages for extended periods (long enough for birds to build a nest) while parked up. ;)

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Do you have any suggestions?

I was using the Ultimate Gust Lock but found it wasn't secure after several storms came through. It could be that I didn't install it properly, but this has happened multiple times so far.

Recently went back to an external gust lock on the rudder. But don't have any external locks for the elevator or ailerons.

Birds Nesting

Long ago I had to tie down my Cardinal outside. I borrowed and Idea from the Boating world and installed a fake OWL placed over the blade of the vertical Prop blade facing backward toward the tail. It worked really well. The other deterrent was to cut aluminum adhesive tape (stove pipe tape) to fit over the lightening holes inside the stabilizers and poke smaller holes in the center for ventilation. I flew for 7 years with the tape installed and it never came loose. But the worst location for those nests was between the Exhaust pipes. They will build nests on the shelves of the lower cowling on both sides, entering between exhaust pipes. CHECK IN THERE ON EVERY PRE-FLIGHT. Lay on the ground and look up. SERIOUS FIRE HAZARD! :mad:

Long ago I had to tie down my Cardinal outside. I borrowed and Idea from the Boating world and installed a fake OWL placed over the blade of the vertical Prop blade facing backward toward the tail. It worked really well. The other deterrent was to cut aluminum adhesive tape (stove pipe tape) to fit over the lightening holes inside the stabilizers and poke smaller holes in the center for ventilation. I flew for 7 years with the tape installed and it never came loose. But the worst location for those nests was between the Exhaust pipes. They will build nests on the shelves of the lower cowling on both sides, entering between exhaust pipes. CHECK IN THERE ON EVERY PRE-FLIGHT. Lay on the ground and look up. SERIOUS FIRE HAZARD! :mad:

Plus one on all accounts in the post above. We had the same issues and solutions when we had out 9a.

Long ago I had to tie down my Cardinal outside. I borrowed and Idea from the Boating world and installed a fake OWL placed over the blade of the vertical Prop blade facing backward toward the tail. It worked really well.
YMMV. One day I came out to the airport and saw one of the planes that had a fake owl on the prop just like this... With an Eagle sitting on the fake owl's head.

The aluminum tape looks like just the right thing for my horiz stab problem. I'll keep a watch on the lower cowling. A mechanic showed me how to stuff bubble wrap in between the exhausts and a ramp neighbor uses some grout sponges to keep birds out. Haven't quite decided what is the best solution. I like the idea of the sponges but concerned they'll soak and retain water during storms - don't know if that's an issue or not. So far hearing mixed results with people who have owls.

Appreciate the ideas, gives me more things to try!

Another GREAT Control Lock

Just today received: DAS-CL100 CONTROL LOCK (RV, CESSNA, CUB) from Aircraft-tool.com. I have not installed it yet on my RV9A. The installation looks very easy, (drill only two small holes) but test fitting and holding up to the Panel and Control Stick it centers the stick and the Ailerons as well the Elevator to the Stabilizer lines up level and seals off the Lightening holes from Bird access. LOVE IT ! Its Genius ! Look it up and check it out! Very Small & Light, can't wait to install it. (Forgot to bring the Drill to the Hangar) :D

Just today received: DAS-CL100 CONTROL LOCK (RV, CESSNA, CUB) from Aircraft-tool.com. I have not installed it yet on my RV9A. The installation looks very easy, (drill only two small holes) but test fitting and holding up to the Panel and Control Stick it centers the stick and the Ailerons as well the Elevator to the Stabilizer lines up level and seals off the Lightening holes from Bird access. LOVE IT ! Its Genius ! Look it up and check it out! Very Small & Light, can't wait to install it. (Forgot to bring the Drill to the Hangar) :D

The cessnas I trained in had a simple gust lock that involved inserting a pin into the stem of the control wheel (yoke). So far I'm surprised there isn't a similar standard 'insert pin here' gust lock for a stick. I'm sure it isn't easy or else someone would have done it by now.

Got my fingers crossed that the aircraft-tool lock works well for you. Sounds like it transfers the forces to whatever those screws are attached to. But you know, if there are other points inside the flight deck I could use for bracing, why can't I just rig up multiple bungie cords to the stick to hold it in place as a solution?

What I did when we had our 9a was bungee cords from seat back to sticks, and soldered copper tube with U shape to fit rudder pedal holes, and rudder bumper on other end to wedge against spar under seat front.

I don’t see that it locks the rudder in any way. That seems be the control surface that takes the most beating in gusty ground conditions, my observation. I’d still have to have an additional rudder gust lock.

I can’t see a downside to Anti-Splat Aero’s Gust Lock…I’ve been using it routinely for two years. The previous owner of my airplane threw that into the deal when I bought it. I think it’s a great piece of engineering for this purpose if you have a 6,7,8,9, or 10.

Last edited:
So far I'm surprised there isn't a similar standard 'insert pin here' gust lock for a stick. I'm sure it isn't easy or else someone would have done it by now.
Maybe not that exactly, but there are several previous threads with all sorts of ideas, - Google site:vansairforce.net control lock, or gust lock etc.

Found it on eBAY

I've used the DAS-CL100 on a light sport rental (Gobosh). Worked well and was very easy to use. After searching a bit I found them on Ebay for $60.00

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...70.l1313&_nkw=DAS-CL100+CONTROL+LOCK&_sacat=0

HS End Covers

Here is what a did to prevent birds from getting into the ends of my -9A horizontal stabilizer. I never cared for the looks of the exposed ends of the HS and didn’t really want to fiberglass the ends like some others have done (although I admit they might look nicer than the aluminum design I did). The concept I used can be added after the plane is built without too much effort using pull rivets.

My build log is on the EAA Builders site: https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7ZLY3oI53

The photos for the end cap design are under the Empennage/HS end covers entry: https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7ZLY3oI53&e=7ZOof0LGw&sid=&listcat=^empennage

Not sure if you’ll be able to see the picture I’m trying to put here, if not hopefully the links will work.

showmy.php

First time post for me here on VAF. Shortly after I started my RV-9A build, I began donating annually to this site because I realized what an outstanding and enormous source of information all of you wonderful individuals were sharing. I accessed the wealth of information available here on so many occasions during my build I can’t begin to count the times. I know my plane would not have turned out as well as it did had it not been for VAF. I want to thank Doug and all of you that have (and continue) to share your knowledge, experiences, and expertise.

So many of the ideas and techniques I used came from posts here, I never really thought I had anything original to add, so I never posted anything. I’m not all that sure that my method of closing off the ends of HS is actually that unique, but maybe it could help someone with their plane. So, for whatever it’s worth I thought I would share it!

‘Nother Way to Go

Beech airplanes have double wall landing gear doors, and the inner walls have lightning holes, that, while they seem to do a good job of letting lightning thru, they also let dirt, rocks and grime in. Mechanics sometimes use aluminum tape as mentioned above, or more permanantly, glued dacron fabric patches over the holes. Usually they cut a pinked edge fabric patch and attached with Stitts PolyTack or 3M 847 (brown) glue. Can be lightly heat shrunk if desired. If there’s an aircraft fabric shop around, they can help you.

Back