What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lyc Vacuum pump adapter oil hole

tjyak50

Well Known Member
I have this Angle Valve IO-540 in a Romanian trainer that is very similar to an RV10... so I am just copying all the RV stuff as I rebuild.

New avionics going in, wanted second alternator.
Had to get a vacuum pump adapter with the gear so I could mount #2 Alternator since this motor didn't have one.

That adapter has an oil hole that must have originally fed a wet vacuum pump. So from the oil galley, the port goes into the adapter, feeds the shaft bearing and also goes aft to where a pump would have been.

Obviously the alternator needs no oil, should I just tap and cap that rear exit of the oil passage? I fear just a gasket won't seal nicely.

Any input is appreciated.
Tj

I have this Angle Valve IO-540 in a Romanian trainer that is very similar to an RV10... so I am just copying all the RV stuff as I rebuild.

New avionics going in, wanted second alternator.
Had to get a vacuum pump adapter with the gear so I could mount #2 Alternator since this motor didn't have one.

That adapter has an oil hole that must have originally fed a wet vacuum pump. So from the oil galley, the port goes into the adapter, feeds the shaft bearing and also goes aft to where a pump would have been.

Obviously the alternator needs no oil, should I just tap and cap that rear exit of the oil passage? I fear just a gasket won't seal nicely.

Any input is appreciated.
Tj

A gasket is what normally seals that hole. Why wouldn't that work? Those of us with standby alternators just use a gasket and those of us with block-off plates also use a gasket. And those of us with a dry vacuum pump also use a gasket.

A gasket is what normally seals that hole. Why wouldn't that work? Those of us with standby alternators just use a gasket and those of us with block-off plates also use a gasket. And those of us with a dry vacuum pump also use a gasket.

Guess it?s ok then. I suppose the blocking plate that was there worked the same way. My brain was telling me it would cause problems but maybe not.

Thx

Back