What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stratus 3 to Garmin pilot on Aera 660

s24789

Well Known Member
Patron
We have a Stratus3 that works great on Foreflight. We would like a dedicated small traffic display like the Aera 660 running Garmin pilot. Everything I have found says the Stratus 3 will work with Garmin Pilot. Additionally the Aera has a Wi-Fi capability which I would think would hook to the Stratus 3. Does anyone know if this is doable ? The manual says the Aera will only work with Garmin Bluetooth ads-b devices.

Thanks

Sadly, it's not.

The 660 does also accept GDL39 over the wired serial port. A couple of guys on the Stratux (not Stratus) team has been working on the GDL39 code for the Stratux to feed a 660, and have managed to get it to work on the bench but haven't released a code block yet. I don't know if that is something that could be ported back to a Stratus or not (or if the Stratus even has a wired serial port).

Rob thanks for the answer. I figured the powers at Garmin would lock it out of the Area devices.

I, too, would own a 660 if it accepted ADSB in from something other than a Garmin product. I have a uAvionix system for ADSB in/out and I can't justify replacing it with a Garmin product just so I can use a 660 GPS.

Right now, I'm using my iPhone X as my primary means of navigation and my only ADSB-in display. It seems to overheat and shut down at the most inopportune times so I'd like to replace it with something a little more reliable. Space is at a big premium in the RV-3 and I'm planning to install a full-blown G3x system at some point so the 660 would otherwise be a good fit.

It's their game and their marbles so they can do whatever they want, but Garmin would have more of my money if they'd soften their stance on this.

TrargetTrend Traffic

I am hooked on Garmin TargetTrend traffic, and would never want to use any other brand of traffic receiver.

In this image there is traffic on a crossing path from the right. If you had only the traffic aircraft symbol (track direction) to look at like provided by other traffic receivers, it makes it appear that it might be a future conflict for the ownship aircraft outbound on the approach course.

The green TargetTrend vector shows that in 2 minutes the traffic target will be at the 5 o'clock position crossing behind the ownship aircraft and not a factor. On the day I took this Aera 760 screen shot, this was exactly what happened.

AM-JKLXkaqFS6I8-SW0zPhfoBxfDULbz8wsDlid3n2lVSreTyt_U4xaX_2TRFIdn0WU_kNFJNPgcQS5IwETpfWrwOmqbwdQFXIXCEDf9WhDdtfKgeBZDsd3Qs4KPIPBqQc2yDhNwxcW4o2Srrhbg6mWdXQk_=w480

I have flown with TargetTrend traffic for 9 years, and almost without fail, I find it extremely accurate in predicting future traffic positions. This is true both for maneuvering traffic targets and those that are not changing track/speed. The TargetTrend vector changes dynamically to accommodate changes.

The GDL 39/39R, GDL 50(R)/51(R)/52(R), GNX 375, and GTX 45R/345R/345 TargetTrend ADS-B Traffic/Weather receivers all work with G3X Touch and Aera 660/760/795/796 displays.

The GDL 52/52R provides, in a single box, ADS-B Traffic/Weather and SXM Weather/Music. I have a remote mounted GDL 52R in my aircraft that is shared by G3X Touch and the Aera 760. The GDL 52R SXM music is wired into my GMA 245 audio panel.

Steve

+1 for Garmin’s TargetTrend

Another fan of Garmin's TargetTrend feature. Although I have a SkyView Touch with ADS-B IN, I also have a Garmin GDL 50 feeding an Aera 660 and ForeFlight on an iPad mini 6. I usually fly with the Traffic Page up on the 660.

Here is an example of why I like Garmin’s TargetTrend vector for collision avoidance. A couple years ago I flew down to see the Mosier Creek Fire between Hood River and The Dalles. I was flying southbound at 9,500’ just to the east of Seattle's Class B. On the Aera 660’s traffic page I noted a Horizon Dash 8 (that had taken off to the north from SeaTac) climbing out to the east headed in my direction and climbing.

The TargetTrend vector showed that he would pass about a mile or so behind me. And since he was climbing, I judged he would be near my altitude at about that time. I decided not to take any action and just watch his progress toward me, which was pretty fast (about a 305 KT closure rate). He also didn’t appear to change direction. I saw him visually when he was about 3 or 4 miles to the west of me due to his landing lights being on. I did rock my wings when he got closer. Who knows if he saw it.

Without the TargetTrend vector I would have been in the dark regarding whether he was a real threat or not, based on his track over the ground (the way his triangle symbol was pointed).

Below are sequential screenshots of that Dash 8 (QXE2407) encounter from the Aera 660’s Traffic Page. Note that the end of the target trend line represents where the Dash 8 (QXE2407) will be in relation to my airplane in 60 seconds.

i-8z8PwMT-L.jpg
i-cq2KgT6-L.jpg

i-mBKpj58-L.jpg
i-Tvj7S9k-L.jpg

It really comes in handy when there are multiple targets around. One can quickly see which ones may be threats.

Here is a Garmin video on the subject: https://youtu.be/SIe4A-NKtN8

Last edited:
Back